This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

optimize storage

Hi,

When I tried to optimize storage of any vm it gives an error: Failed  - [Unable to find free space to backup virtual disk(s) on Disk 2 (raid 6 - 2T) datastore. Free space 337233575936, required 2823940997120].

At this moment I have on that storage 314GB and the resize is to shrink a disk of 200GB to 2 Gb.

Why is not working?

Thanks

• Hi Daniel,

The message does not look right, but the logic seems correct.
    The Optimizer will need at least 400 GB available, as during the resizing operation it will create a backup of your 200GB disk, then will try to resize the original 200GB one. This means that temporarily there will be two 200GB disks. Once the original is resized, and the OS starts correctly, the backup disk will be deleted.

I hope this helps.

• Hi,

Thanks for the answer. There is a way to don't make the backup? Without that I can't free the necessary space.
  • Hi Daniel,

As far as I know you can't disable the backup. It is a safeguard in case the resizing goes wrong. It will allow the Optimizer to revert to the original disk.

These options have worked for me in the past:

1. Move the VM to a larger datastore, wait at least 10 minutes, confirm Foglight knows the new location, then resize it there, then move it back to the original datastore.
    2. Resize smaller VMs first, until you get enough space to resize the large VM.

I hope this helps.

• That one is the biggest vm I have and even if I shrink the other the space will not be enough. I already have other system of backup and if something goes wrong I just have to restore.

I will search how to disable that option. Thanks for the answer