How do I create/configure host name over rides for existing monitored hosts?

I have a numerous host agents (mostly Linux ones) that were created using their fully qualified domain names in the host name field in the "Add Monitored Host" window. 

When these agents were created, the field name "Optional Settings", which allows you to enter a host name override, or short name, was left blank.

As a result many of the hosts appear in the Foglight dashboards identified by their fully qualified domain names. The domain name is redundant data taking up valuable screen real estate. Can I apply a host name override after the host agents have been corrected so that my host names display only as the server name instead of the FQDN?

Parents
  • Hi Jason,

You'll want to create a Host Aliasing rule to alias data coming from FQDN to a truncated hostname.  The original host object will remain but new data will then be written to the new alias name.  See KB 94426 and Merging Host Objects.  

Here's a screenshot example using Administration | Tooling | Managing Host Aliasing Rules.

• Add 
    • Create a Broad Rule Which Works with Many Hosts 
    • Remove Characters End of a Host Name
    • Select checkbox Any Host
    • Enter FQDN to remove

• Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. That procedure seems simple enough to do however when I ran through all of the steps to create that rule all appeared to be fine but after finishing there is no new aliasing rule that appears in the Host Aliasing list...just the three that were there to begin with. Maybe I missed something?

Edit:  Just to add, I notice on the Summary window that it says Hosts that match search criteria = 21; Hosts will be affected by this rule = 0. 

• Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. That procedure seems simple enough to do however when I ran through all of the steps to create that rule all appeared to be fine but after finishing there is no new aliasing rule that appears in the Host Aliasing list...just the three that were there to begin with. Maybe I missed something?

Edit:  Just to add, I notice on the Summary window that it says Hosts that match search criteria = 21; Hosts will be affected by this rule = 0. 

Children
No Data