"The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized" during migration

I am somewhat new to CM and am testing the migration of site collections from a SP 2013 farm to a SP 2019 farm using the latest release of CM, but getting the error "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.".  I have gone through the documentation and confirmed all of the following as per documentation and the FAQs in the User Guide:

• CM is installed on a non-farm workstation
  • MEWS is installed and validated in both farms
  • Using CM I am able to successfully connect to both the source and target farms
  • The migrating user account is a Farm Admin in both the source and target farms
  • I can "copy" the site collection in the source and then "paste" in the target farm (which initiates the job config/migration wizard)
  • The migrating user account has been added with explicit (by name) FULL CONTROL on the web application where I want to create the site collection in the target farm
  • In my CM session I am also connected to the Central Admin web application (using a farm connection) on the target farm using the same account
  • Both the SP 2013 and the SP 2019 farms are configured for Claims authentication

As best I can tell I have addressed all the requirements to create site collections as part of a migration.  However, when the job executes I still get the "Unauthorized" error.  Any thoughts as to what else I might be missing? 

Thanks

• Hello,

At which operation are you getting the 401 error? IS it for everything, or only on certain items?

Be sure to always launch Content Matrix app by right-clicking and choosing Run As Administrator.

Can you connect to your target Site Collection directly (choose Site level) and then using the Web Browser Authentication as your Authentication option.

If that does not work, can you try creating a blank Site Collection on your target. Then copy the source Site and choose the Paste Site Content > All Site Content when pasting into the newly created Site Collection.

Cheers,

Theo

• Thanks for responding.  It appears to happen almost immediately when it tries to create the site collection.  In this scenario what I did was to connect to the source site directly, and the target web application where I wanted to create my site collection.  What I found is that if I connect to the target Central Admin web application (instead of the content web application), it works ... that just seems a bit odd. It also works if I pre-create the a site collection to use as the target ... but the idea is not to have to pre-stage all the many site collections we need to migrate.

So in a nutshell I think I have a way to do it (via the Central Admin web application), but I'm not sure I understand why that works and the content web application does not ... the user has Site Collection Admin rights as well as FULL CONTROL of the web applications.

Thanks.

rene