This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems with duplicating a 2010 workflow on the same list.

I copied a workflow from a list to the same list (while renaming it). The copy of the WF works fine however it left the old workflow so that SPD will not bring it up into edit regardless of the technique I try. The old one continues to be triggered properly but I can stop it using the workflow status screen. The workflow in question is very long but not near SP limits. This is a 2010 workflow on 2013 server. This behavior did not happen on a separate test list (both workflows on the test list are editable and execute properly) .

Parents
  • pretty standard procedure. RC = Right Click. LC = Left click . List Name = List 1, Workflow is WF 1 -triggered upon item modification. In essentials: I refresh the site, RC List 1 - view objects - workflows - then RC WF 1 in the workflow list -> select copy - then RC List 1 - select Paste - give the workflow copy a new name like WF 1 Copy. finish - it copies ok it appears - no error message. Now both WF 1 and WF 1 copy work properly and trigger upon modification on the list. But then I go into the site in SPD. Refresh - click workflows to see the list of all workflows on the site. WF 1 NO LONGER APPEARS. WF 1 Copy does appear in the list of workflows on the site. I can edit WF 1 Copy without any problems. I click on the list name to see it's general properties and in the workflow list window I do see both WF 1 and WF 1 copy. I attempt to edit WF 1 by RC on WF 1 - normally you get the options to see workflow settings or edit the workflow. Neither appear. No options appears at all in fact. If i just LC on WF 1 (normally this would open workflow settings) - this has no effect. You can RC WF 1 Copy and get the option to edit workflow settings or edit the workflow. In the browser, you can start either of them manually. Go to List 1 -> settings -> workflow. I see both WF 1 and WF 1 Copy as valid work You can select 'no new instances' for WF 1 to stop it from running and you can remove it if you want. This is the only way to stop WF 1 from running .

Another thing - on the same site - I copied LIst 1 to List 1 copy..

(no content, no permissions, no workflows, with hidden fields). It makes a copy of the list correctly. I create a NEW workflow on List 1 Copy (call if WF new) - then attempt to duplicate that workflow onto List 1 Copy. I get the same problem. That is on the COPY of the list (list 1 copy) you can have an entirely new workflow (WF 2) You can copy that workflow (duplicate it) onto List 1 copy with a new name (WF 2 copy) That will leave WF 2 non-editable.

I must have duplicated 300 workflows in my use of the product over the years and have never seen this. This is on a highly private LAN. I cannot take any information off of this secure LAN. No logs, screenshots, nothing. Metalogic cannot remote into the site obviously. I get no error messages anywhere - just that the old workflow is no longer editable via SPD after Metavis makes a copy and places back on the same list with a new name. I do not see this on other lists on the same site or on other sites. Obviously the product shouldn't modify or make any changes to the source workflow or it's settings but essentials is changing somehting on the source workflow to make it no longer editable.

Questions?

• pretty standard procedure. RC = Right Click. LC = Left click . List Name = List 1, Workflow is WF 1 -triggered upon item modification. In essentials: I refresh the site, RC List 1 - view objects - workflows - then RC WF 1 in the workflow list -> select copy - then RC List 1 - select Paste - give the workflow copy a new name like WF 1 Copy. finish - it copies ok it appears - no error message. Now both WF 1 and WF 1 copy work properly and trigger upon modification on the list. But then I go into the site in SPD. Refresh - click workflows to see the list of all workflows on the site. WF 1 NO LONGER APPEARS. WF 1 Copy does appear in the list of workflows on the site. I can edit WF 1 Copy without any problems. I click on the list name to see it's general properties and in the workflow list window I do see both WF 1 and WF 1 copy. I attempt to edit WF 1 by RC on WF 1 - normally you get the options to see workflow settings or edit the workflow. Neither appear. No options appears at all in fact. If i just LC on WF 1 (normally this would open workflow settings) - this has no effect. You can RC WF 1 Copy and get the option to edit workflow settings or edit the workflow. In the browser, you can start either of them manually. Go to List 1 -> settings -> workflow. I see both WF 1 and WF 1 Copy as valid work You can select 'no new instances' for WF 1 to stop it from running and you can remove it if you want. This is the only way to stop WF 1 from running .

Another thing - on the same site - I copied LIst 1 to List 1 copy..

(no content, no permissions, no workflows, with hidden fields). It makes a copy of the list correctly. I create a NEW workflow on List 1 Copy (call if WF new) - then attempt to duplicate that workflow onto List 1 Copy. I get the same problem. That is on the COPY of the list (list 1 copy) you can have an entirely new workflow (WF 2) You can copy that workflow (duplicate it) onto List 1 copy with a new name (WF 2 copy) That will leave WF 2 non-editable.

I must have duplicated 300 workflows in my use of the product over the years and have never seen this. This is on a highly private LAN. I cannot take any information off of this secure LAN. No logs, screenshots, nothing. Metalogic cannot remote into the site obviously. I get no error messages anywhere - just that the old workflow is no longer editable via SPD after Metavis makes a copy and places back on the same list with a new name. I do not see this on other lists on the same site or on other sites. Obviously the product shouldn't modify or make any changes to the source workflow or it's settings but essentials is changing somehting on the source workflow to make it no longer editable.

Questions?

Children
No Data