This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cross-forest migration in Exchange Hybrid with Azure AD connect enabled

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have two on premises Active Directory forests, ForestA and ForestB. Azure AD Connect is installed on a server in ForestB and has connectors synchronizing both ForestA and ForestB to Office 365. I also have an Exchange hybrid server in ForestA that is being used to manage mailboxes in Office 365 and one in ForestB. Each user in ForestA has a mailbox in O365 and is matched using ms-ds-consistencyGUID (there are no on-premises mailboxes).

I need to migrate all AD user accounts from ForestA to ForestB. When I do this, I need to be sure that the mailbox is not deleted and the migrated user account in ForestB is matched to the O365 mailbox via directory synchronization.

How do I do this? Please note that I need to migrate 5000+ accounts so it will need to be done in batches and I can't disable dirsync at any point. I will use Quest Migration Manager for AD.

Parents
  • By Using msDS-ConsistencyGuid as the sourceAnchor attribute for objects, this will allow you to control where source object is sync'ed from. The vaule will be migrated from source to target. You need to insure that only the source or target object is in scope of AD Connected based on you migration schedule.

Today
    Source\Bob = msDS-ConsistencyGuid =123456789
    Target\Bob does not exist

Staged
    Target\Bob = Exists, out of AD Connect Sync Scope

Switched
    Source\Bob = Exists, out of AD Connect Sync Scope
    Target\Bob = msDS-ConsistencyGuid =123456789
  • By Using msDS-ConsistencyGuid as the sourceAnchor attribute for objects, this will allow you to control where source object is sync'ed from. The vaule will be migrated from source to target. You need to insure that only the source or target object is in scope of AD Connected based on you migration schedule.

Today
    Target\Bob does not exist

Staged
    Target\Bob = Exists, out of AD Connect Sync Scope

Switched
    Source\Bob = Exists, out of AD Connect Sync Scope
    Target\Bob = msDS-ConsistencyGuid =123456789
Children
No Data