Multiple Source Domains - Linking Exchange Mailbox

Hi there,

We're just about to migrate users from two source domains down to a single target and we have QMM for AD & Exchange in place. For users with mailboxes in the same source domain the procedure is easy enough, but we have a number of users that primarily use AccountA in DomainA to login to their PCs in DomainA but they access their Exchange mailbox in DomainB. They have an associated AccountB in DomainB also.

What I'd like to achieve:

1. Copy the SIDHistory from DomainA to Target
  2. Copy the password from DomainA to Target
  3. Link Target account to Mailbox from DomainB

Does anyone have any idea how I achieve the above?

Next Question: With regards to on-going synchronisation of Source(s) to Target, is this something I have to do away with in this scenario or can I configure the user for synchronisation in one or both of the domains to keep the password up to date?

What I've done so far:

1. Migrated user from DomainB, no SIDHistory and skip the password.
  2. Migrated user from DomainA, with SIDHistory and the password copied. This successfully merged with the account created in Step 1 in the target domain.
  3. Added the mailbox from DomainB to the Exchange Mailbox Sync job, but it fails to find the mailbox. Error = The target mailbox could not be found. Possible reason: The target mailbox was not created during the directory synchronisation.
  4. I haven't configured any synchronisation as I was unsure being that there are two source domains.

I hope the above all makes sense.

If anything requires clarification by all means let me know and I will do so.

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Is your directory synchronization from DomainB > Target setup to create the mailbox?    The directory synchronization process with the "Exchange Options" filled and the "Mailbox-Enabled" button checked is what creates the mailbox in the target.

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

The synchronisation process is configured as you said, with the "Mailbox-enabled users" option selected. This is configured the same for both Domain Pairs, with the exception of the "Source SMTP address template". In that field we have srcdomaina.local & srcdomainb.local, with target.local in the "Target SMTP address template" for both.

I haven't added the user in question to any sync job, so that explains why there is no mailbox.

If I include them in the Sync from DomainB will that overwrite the password & SIDHistory from DomainA on the target account?

• For the DomainB > Target domain pair... open up the properties for directory synchronization.   Then go to the "Set Security Settings" tab and make sure the "Synchronize Passwords" and the "Add SIDHistory" checkbox's are UNCHECKED.   This will skip the synchronization of passwords and won't add the SIDHistory for the users who are in the sync scope.

• The trouble I face is that the majority of users coming from DomainB will need those options in place. With only one sync job per pair I can't see a way around this. Any further thoughts?

Reply Children
No Data