AD migration

Hi

using Quest Migration manager for AD/Exchange,  Is it possible to migrate AD groups users contacts  from an source forest to target forest leaving mailboxes still in exchange org source domain. ( I know this is possible wit Quest ) 

But is it also possible to migrate mailboxes from source forest to office 365 and having migrated users in Target Forest can access their mail boxes in Office 365 so that we can decommision exchange org in Source Forest

Best Regards

Eric Kro

• Yes. You can migrate the mailboxes directly to o365 and the accounts,groups, etc to the o365 related domain/forest. 

• Thanks. Does the order matters ? Is it better first migrate the users from source forest to target forest and then migrate mailboxes from source forest to exchange online /office 365 or first migrate mailboxes from source forest to exchange online /office 365 and then migrate users from ,groups etc from source forest to target forest ? 

However , Regardless the order , as long as my migrated users in target domain can access to their migrated mailboxes  in exchange online/office 365  until I completely migrated all the mailboxes to exchange online /office 365 and migrate all the users to target forest and being able to decom Exchange organization in source forest , I am good and I can invest quest for both AD and Exchange migration with no worry. I have been looking into this doing with admt and exchange hybrid mailboxes move but it seems too complicated and prone to break thing s during migration. 

• Order only matters as it relates to process. You can migrate directly to EXO without anything being done at the ad to ad level. Then migrate the ad to ad object.  Or you can lead with ad to ad and execute the EXO migration, then migrate the workstations and servers..

As I said order only relates to configuration and process.  Quest has never pushed a tool requirement of a business requirement. 

• Thanks Jeff,  workstations had already been provisioned in target forest , so no need to migrate them. 

Thanks again for the info. Probably I will migrate users first as we have time line to finish user migration early . Mailbox migration might take longer. I will Advise my manager to reach out to quest and start procurement process  

• Of course after user migration , I will also need to install another ad connect in target forest and synchronize the migrated users from target forest to Ms azure ad so that they can continue using other office365  application they are currently using from source forest ( users in source forest  are currently being synced from source forest to azure ad to use few office 365 application via adfs so  )