ADPW usage question

Hello Support Team,

I've general question related to usage of ADPW tool. 

Question: If resource is secured with Source Domain Local groups only && Resource Server (Source domain) has been moved to Target domain, then do I still need to process Source Domain Local groups using ADPW in order to add the Target objects to the Source Domain Local groups?

Please answer and explain.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to wagner ryan my

I am glad that our products are working well in your environment. with that said, may I remind you that forums are not only answered by engineers but by other members of our community as well. and they also post questions that need answers as well.

Since it is organic, the response time will take up to 48 hours. I appreciate your understanding and your patience when asking the questions. We are glad to reply to your questions which will be replied to as soon as one of our engineers has an opportunity to do so. 

have a good day and enjoy the community.

• Thank you Former Member

I'll wait another 24 hrs. for answer and explanation of my question. I'll follow-up with you incase my question is not answered and explained then after.

• Former Member

Follow-up,

I still did not receive reply on my question.

• So Network Attached Storage (NAS) hosts are normally based on some type Unix/Lynx host. So they are really not "Members" of a domain and follow MS standards. I have seen a IBM NAS only allow permissions from the joined domain. I have see NetApp only resolve sidhistory to one domain. So you will have to dig into the documentation or the support personal from Dell.

Question: So Sid resolution to Security name depends on : Direction of Trust as well as domain membership of the host  from where permission is checked? does it also depend on domain membership of servers where resource is hosted? How does Sid resolution to Security Principal name works if Server membership has been changed from source domain to target domain? Please explain.

For a Windows host yes, for a NAS server, it depends. 

There were 3 questions in that, the above is the answer to them all. 

Really you should process the NAS with RUM (UI version) or VMover (command line version) to append or replace the source ACEs in the ACLs with Target groups/user. AS we have said before, SidHistory is a crutch at some point you need to remove sidhistory.

• Sid resolution to Security Principal is always same as direction of trust. In other words, Sid resolution traffic flow from trusting domain to trusted domain. It means, if target domain groups found in resource ACL of source domain server then because of trust direction (Source -> Target), it will show as Principal name. AM I right?

You said: Now the permissions to the same folder after the server has been moved to the target domain. Notice that the SIDs do not resolve? They do not resolve because there is NOT a trust this direction. 

So it means if I see the same folder via source host it will be showing group name instead of SID? Am I correct?

Can you explain the workflow of background process under the hood and how actually Sid resolution to Security Principal name work?

• So it means if I see the same folder via source host it will be showing group name instead of SID? Am I correct?

Correct. Test it out and see. I posted screen shot in this thread. 

Can you explain the workflow of background process under the hood and how actually Sid resolution to Security Principal name work?

Actually no. I Know the higher level parts and how things should work. But not well enough to explain it.