Computer Object Description option is not updated after Migrated from Source Domain to target Domain

Hello Team,

We have Migrated one server successfully from Source to Target Domain, but after Migrated the server into the target Domain the computer object did not get updated the Description attribute value.

In the Source domain the Computer Object have the Description value, but after migration the object did not not have the Description value

Am I missing something here, please help me how to fix the issue. Thanks in Advance

• Please details what the process was that yielded these undesirable results.  

• We have Migrate the server by using the RUM console,

Please find the below details what I processed 

1) Add the server in RUM console Collation

2) Enabled the Remote Registry

3) Processed the Discovery task

4) and the Processing task with enabled all check marks in Handling the Right and Resource option.

5) Once its done the Processing Task, then move the server

• So using that process, you find that data stored in the source directory is missing in the target directory? 

You need to migrate the source computer object to the target using a migration session. If you only care about a limited number of attributes, skip the rest. 

• I tried to Migrate the Computer object by using the Migration session , but its get failed , because the computer object were already created, during the server Migration by using the RUM Console.

What is the process to do follow from next onwards

1) First Migrate the computer object by using the Migration session and then proceed with server migration by using RUM console

or

2) from migration session can we migrated the server including the computer object attribute values.

• If you migrate the directory object first, and move the computer, you need to not set the OU on the move task. 

If you migrate the directory object after the computer is moved, the account name matching rule must be enable. 

• Thanks for the information, let me check and update you the status. Thanks once again

• I never had any success migrating computer object first followed by RUM processing. During Move phase it fails as the computer object with that name already exists.
    Is there a way to resolve that?

• This could be due to a Msft domain security setting where computers are not allowed to re-join to pre-existing computer accounts.

My suggestion would be as follows:

1) Use RUM to move the computer to a new domain

2) Prepare a tab delimited import file containing your source and target computer account names, a name column plus your new description

3) Process the above file using a migration session in which you select one of the "merge" options

• It is normal for the Description attribute value of a computer object to not be updated after migrating the server from Source to Target Domain. This is because the Description attribute is not a critical attribute and Active Directory does not replicate it by default.

To fix this issue, you can use the following methods:

Method 1: Use the ADSI Edit tool to update the Description attribute value of the computer object manually.

To do this:

1. Open the ADSI Edit tool.
    2. Connect to the Target Domain.
    3. Locate the computer object that you want to update.
    4. Right-click the computer object and select Properties.
    5. In the Properties dialog box, click the Attribute Editor tab.
    6. Locate the Description attribute and enter the desired value.
    7. Click OK to save the changes.

Method 2: Use a third-party migration tool to update the Description attribute value of the computer object.

There are a number of third-party migration tools available that can be used to update the Description attribute value of the computer object during the migration process.

Method 3: Use a PowerShell script to update the Description attribute value of the computer object.

The following PowerShell script can be used to update the Description attribute value of the computer object:

PowerShell
    Import-Module ActiveDirectory

# Get the computer object.
    $computerObject = Get-ADComputer -Name "ComputerName"

# Set the Description attribute value.
    $computerObject.Description = "Description value"

# Update the computer object.
    Set-ADComputer -Instance $computerObject

You can run this script on the Target Domain to update the Description attribute value of the computer object.

Once you have updated the Description attribute value of the computer object, you can verify the change by running the following PowerShell command:

PowerShell
    Get-ADComputer -Name "ComputerName" -Properties Description

This command will display the Description attribute value of the computer object.
  • I will give it a go.
    Description is one thing, I need computer SID History & group memberships too. This might work.
    Thanks for a hint.