This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Refresh interval for LDAP based mailbox collections

I have a migration setup with QMM 8.14.  Sync and switch collections have been configured to be defined by a value stored in an AD extension attribute.  When this attribute is changed, mailboxes move from a sync group to a switch group as expected.  There is a need to switch mailboxes "on demand" and when we do this, it takes somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes to be removed from the sync collection and added to the switch collection.  Reviewing the logs, I can see that the collections refresh their members via LDAP query every 15 minutes.  Is there a way to adjust the time between refreshes?  Alternatively, is there a preferred method to accomplish automated mailbox switching via script?

Parents
  • There is really not a way to speed it up. 10 to 20 mins IMHO is relatively fast. Two events has to happen for the objects to move from one collection to another. First it must be removed from a collection, then it must be added to a collection. So the priority of the collection for the agent has an impact. Also what else the collection is processing has an impact. On Demand IMHO would be to manually switch the mailbox by creating a collection, adding the mailbox to that collection and right click and switch. 

You could script using workstation with outlook, SwitchResMB.exe and a script to switch the mailbox outside of the tool. So this script would remove the target object's targetAddress, add a targetAddress to the source object. Add source targetAddress it as a proxyAddresses to target object. That takes care of message delivery. SwitchResMB.exe can process the mailbox with CPUU and switch the switch message for the end user to use CPUU. Additionally you would also move the mailbox from sync to switch collection and let it do it's thing. There might be a few missing email while the sync catches up. But like you said, in 10-20 mins and it will be complete. 

• In general, I agree, that is relatively fast.  We're just looking to both automate the process and make it as efficient as possible.  So, the right-click/switch is the fast way, but not scriptable, and the extension attributes are easily scripted, but add an undesired 10-30min delay (depending on the timing).  We're getting good performance from the agents (although we've not tested with large volume) so this delay is pretty significant in our one-off migrations.

If the interval can not be shortened, if there is a way to tell the agent to rerun it's LDAP query, that would work as well, but that seems like a long shot.

I'll dig into switchresmb a little more and see if that fits the bill.  I'm also looking into using collectionmanagementutility to do this, I'd have to remove the LDAP-based item selection, but then can remove from a sync collection with /rm and add it to a switch collection via /am.

• Stopping and starting the agent service hosting the collection will cause it to enumerate the collection members again. So change the attribute, stop and start the agent service hosting the collection. Let it process the membership. Assuming you collections prioritized Sync before switch, it will drop out of the sync and into the switch on the first pass. This would be something easy to test. 

• I tried and tested that a few times yesterday, and just did it again to be sure, but restarting the service is not causing it to re enumerate the collection members.

Reply Children