This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Verification incredibly slow but backup is fast

Hi, 

I run a backup job that is about ~7TB, the backup job runs fast and even reaches over a gbps at times but when I run the verification it is painfully slow and stays at 16mbps :\ terrible. I have tried restarting the server/device. I have tried changing the settings to run the verification on the client and I still get the same. Running a verify job at 16mbps on 7TB of data is painful. 

Any ideas? Anyone had this before? 

Thanks a mil. 

Rogan

• Same experience, speeds being relative. I posted a thread about "What does verify really do?" but it seems that no one wants to take a stab at answering.

www.quest.com/.../what-does-verify-actually-do
  • What are you backing up to? The verify may be slower when reading back from certain devices. In the case of a deduplication device, it may be much slower because it has to rehydrate the data to read it. Verify however is slow in any capacity, at least much slower than the actual backup.

I actually advise customers to not run verify if it is not greatly needed. During the backup phase alone, there are enough fault checks occuring that will report a failure of the backup whether due to media, network or otherwise. At any rate though, I will submit a request to see if there is a better way we could be doing verification, and more efficiently.
  • Thanks Andre and rbrehm. We are backing up to a DR4300 device and what is strange is that the verification process on this specific job used to be fast. I never really monitored those speeds as the backup and verify jobs would be done in less than a day. I saw the job started running for more than a day and then after 3 days I had a look and saw these speeds, tested again and got the same. I will have to disable verification for now.

Verification on other big jobs are normal, not as fast as backup speeds but decent and not at a constant slow speed either.

Thanks for the responses.

Rogan