This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

++ Blank tape and set new label per command line / start bat ++

Hello,

as far as I see NetVault attaches each job data to the inserted tape instead of overwriting it. This results in a backup faleid, because media is full.

My questions are:
Is it possible to overwrite the tape from the beginning on and not after the last set, to always have the full tape capacity available?
Is it possible to blank the tape media using nvblankmedia or nvbulkblankmedia? (I did some tests, but it looks like only libraries are working with it!?)
Is it possible to label a media and set as label the current date/time for example?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Parents
  • Hi,
    Did you change the retention time on a specific job?
    Keep in mind, a saveset has its own retention, so if there are other savesets on the same media that have a different expiration or a longer one, then the tape will not be expired until that one is. This is why you may have to manually expire some tapes still.
    Also, if the saveset is part of a string of incremental or full that is not yet expired, then the tape will not be expired as well.
    If you change the retention on a job, it does not change the retention on the tape, it just changes the retention for future savesets. All previous savesets will still have the original/old retention and will expire at that time unless manually changed.
  • Hi,
    Did you change the retention time on a specific job?
    Keep in mind, a saveset has its own retention, so if there are other savesets on the same media that have a different expiration or a longer one, then the tape will not be expired until that one is. This is why you may have to manually expire some tapes still.
    Also, if the saveset is part of a string of incremental or full that is not yet expired, then the tape will not be expired as well.
    If you change the retention on a job, it does not change the retention on the tape, it just changes the retention for future savesets. All previous savesets will still have the original/old retention and will expire at that time unless manually changed.
Children
No Data