This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrong Tapes used

On random occasions our Net vault backup utilizes our daily tapes for the weekly backups even though there are 3x weekly tapes mounted and available. It doesn't happen often but when it does we keep having to add new daily tapes.

What would the the reasons this is caused and what steps should we be taking to prevent it from re-occurring?

I have just upgraded our Net vault to version 11.4.5.12

• Check if in you job "target option" --->media option you have "ANY" in reuse media. In this case any "reuse" labled media can be used from any of the media group. This is no issue as once the tapes is used its re-balled in your case weekly.

Check in the same "target option" --->media option that you have correct media group selected.
  • Not sure that's quite right, our Job Target options, for example the weekly backup, specifically have "Weekly Backup" in the target options. We do have Any_Tape, but that's not selected.
  • Sorry, my bad! Using our weekly backup as an example, I went into manage job definitions > View job > clicked on backup target (Weekly backup). Here's what I Could see under media options "Target Media by Group, Label BLANK Media, Reuse any media". Is this by design? I guess then, if there's no tapes available for the weekly backup the backup won't wait until there is media available. To insert new media would then mean aborting the backup. I think given that we understand why it's set up this way, we should be good now.
    Thanks for your help!