This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Are bitlocker encrypted disks supported?

In our most recent backups, we can see in the log files that some of our Virtual Machines come up with the following warning -

Unsupported filesystem on '[xxx02] xxxxx/xxxxx-000001.vmdk-Partition4' (X's used for security reasons)

These partitions Netvault is generating the message for are all bitlocker encrypted disks, also we're a few versions behind, currently running 12.0.1.4

Has anyone had this error before and could you share how you went about fixing it?

Parents Reply
  • In the Release Notes of VMware Plugin v12.1 I see:

"Support of virtual-machine encryption became available starting with vSphere 6.5; however, the plugin does not support backup and restore of encrypted disks"

You are talking about vmware vm encryption or bitlocker? I think if it's bitlocker only, you can do a vmware backup but without file level indexing (look at the plugin options of the job, if file level indexing is enabled then you need to disable it).

If it's vmware vm encryption then it's still not supported.

Hope that helps,

Children
  • Thanks for that. I've recently found out more about the file level indexing which we don't use in this environment, so have disabled to minimize all the warning messages we were getting. As we restore the 'entire' VM as opposed to individual files , Quest advised us that how we're currently running things is the correct way to operate and everything is being backed up correctly.

• Glad that helped, actually I tested in my lab and the job was getting warning but if you look at the restore window you can see the backup and you can restore the entire vm, only thing is you can't restore individual files.

Cheers