Best Practice Migrating MailinDBs to Sharefolders

Dear Forum,

are there any best practices in migrating Notes MailinDBs to Exchange Sharedmailboxes.

Domino:
MailinDB
Editor and Reader Groups

Exchange:
SharedMailbox
sendonbehalf Group
owner Group to manage the accessgroups

Is it possible to have the Readergroup migrated in somthing simmular to Exchange shared Mailbox.

Do we have to generate the groups in advance to the AD we do have MIM in charge.

any kind of enlightment woud be Appreciated.

Georg

Parents
  • Hello Georg,

Thank you for posting to the Migrator for Notes to Exchange (MNE) forum. I understand you have questions about migrating Notes Mail-in Databases to shared mailboxes in Exchange.

The following KB article describes a fairly new parameter in MNE that will escalate Notes Manager/Author rights to "Full Access" rights in Exchange:

https://support.quest.com/migrator-for-notes-to-exchange/kb/234720/mailin-db-migration-to-escalate-manager-author-acl-rights-to-full-access-234720

Outside of the process above, MNE typically only grants Exchange "delegate" rights. Here is a link to the MNE Pre-Migration Planning Guide that discusses the migration of Notes ACLs to Exchange further:

https://support.quest.com/technical-documents/migrator-for-notes-to-exchange/4.16.1/pre-migration-planning-guide/14#TOPIC-1550904

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Quest | Support

• Hi Trevor,

Happy new Year.

The Link for the MNE Pre-Migration Planning Guide ist quiet helpful.
    Full Access for every one is not our goal.

While the MNE is able to migrate the Notes distribution lists, is it possible to rename this groups in use of a pre defined pattern.
    Our Notes groups do have special caracters at the start (#, &) and Microsoft dont like those.
    Or do we have to rename each group in advance.

Regards,

Georg

• Hello Georg,

Happy New Year to you too!

I do apologize for the late reply. If you would like to change the names of the Notes groups as part of the migration, you have two options:

1.) Rename the groups in Notes, then run the MNE Export Notes Directory process, so that MNE is made aware of the name changes.

2.) In the MNE Migration Manager, go to the Export Notes Directory screen and click the "Export objects to TSV..." button. From here, you can open this TSV file in Excel, narrow it down to group objects and re-name them as required. You can then save this TSV and only include the group objects that you are planning to modify in the TSV file. Then use the "Import objects from TSV..." button in the MNE Migration Manager to import this TSV file. The name changes will now have been made in the MNE database, without having to change the group names in Notes.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification. 

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support

• Hello Georg,

Happy New Year to you too!

I do apologize for the late reply. If you would like to change the names of the Notes groups as part of the migration, you have two options:

1.) Rename the groups in Notes, then run the MNE Export Notes Directory process, so that MNE is made aware of the name changes.

2.) In the MNE Migration Manager, go to the Export Notes Directory screen and click the "Export objects to TSV..." button. From here, you can open this TSV file in Excel, narrow it down to group objects and re-name them as required. You can then save this TSV and only include the group objects that you are planning to modify in the TSV file. Then use the "Import objects from TSV..." button in the MNE Migration Manager to import this TSV file. The name changes will now have been made in the MNE database, without having to change the group names in Notes.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support

Children
No Data