On Demand Migration - Basic Authentication

Hi,

It's my understanding that ODM requires Basic Authentication to O365...

- Is this still the case?

- If so, when will it change given MS End Of Support is 2020 for Basic Auth in o365

- My customer also asked if they disabled Basic Auth for all accounts except the ODM service account would the product still work.

Any info would be appreciated.

thx

Kent

Parents
  • Hello Kent,

Yes, On Demand Migration (ODM) does require Basic Authentication for the source and target migration admin accounts used for the migration.

The product team is aware of the upcomming support end date of Basic Authentication in Office 365 and is working on a solution.

Yes, end-users can still use Modern Authentication in Office 365, it is only the source and target ODM migration admin accounts (provided when you configure connections) that require Basic Authentication.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Quest | Support

• Hello Kent,

Yes, On Demand Migration (ODM) does require Basic Authentication for the source and target migration admin accounts used for the migration.

The product team is aware of the upcomming support end date of Basic Authentication in Office 365 and is working on a solution.

Yes, end-users can still use Modern Authentication in Office 365, it is only the source and target ODM migration admin accounts (provided when you configure connections) that require Basic Authentication.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support

Children
  • Hello Kent,

I would like to clarify my previous answer to your question about Basic Authentication requirements for On Demand Migration (ODM). Although ODM doesn't officially support all components of Modern Authentication, most customers have Modern Authentication enabled at the Office 365 tenant level and use all features of ODM successfully. When I say that most customers have Modern Authentication enabled in their Office 365 tenants, I mean that the result of the following PowerShell command:

Get-OrganizationConfig | Format-Table Name,OAuth* -Auto

is

OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled = True

As a simple test, if you can use the following commands to connect to both your source and target Office 365 tenants with PowerShell (Note: -Authentication Basic), then ODM should be able to work successfully with your tenants.

$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri outlook.office365.com/.../ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session

The source and target Office 365 migration admin accounts will need to have Multi-Factor Authentication disabled.

The product team is aware of the Basic Authentication end of support deadline and are working towards a solution. I hope that this additional information helps provide greater clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support