Migrate labeled documents

I am migrating mail, SharePoint, Overdrive and Teams from one Microsoft 365 tenant to another Microsoft 365 tenant. The source tenant has Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling configured. Can protected/labeled documents be migrated, and what happens to any labeling during/post migration?

Many thanks,

Si 

• Hello Si,

Thanks for posting to the On Demand forum. I understand you have questions about migrating documents that are protected by Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling. Currently, On Demand Migration (ODM) is not "Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling" aware.

Is client software required to decrypt and access protected documents? 

That appears to be the case based off my own cursory research. If that is the case, then it is quite likely that On Demand Migration (ODM) will not be able to migrate files that are protected (encrypted) by Azure Information Protection. In order to be migrated, files would likely need to be unprotected for the duration of the migration.

Additionally, the tracking of files protected by Azure Information Protection would likely be housed in the source tenant Azure Active Directory environment. By migrating the files to a new tenant with a new Azure Active Directory environment, any labels would likely be lost in the event that labeled documents could be migrated. In this case, documents would likely need to be re-labeled after migration.

I am going to reach out to the On Demand Migration product team about this scenario. I will update you here with any additional details I am able to provide. 

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Quest | Support

• Hello Si,

I wanted to provide you with an update regarding migrating data protected by Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling with On Demand Migration (ODM). ODM does not currently support the migration of data protected by Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling or the associated labels. I have created a series of Enhancement Requests, based on the ODM migration component, for the product team to consider supporting Azure Information Protection and Unified labeling in a future version of On Demand Migration:

ODM SharePoint: ODMSPO-57
    ODM Teams: ODMTOG-I-39
    ODM OneDrive: ODMOD-17
    ODM Email: ODMEM-I-46

I have also created a KB article, "Does On Demand Migration (ODM) support the migration of data protected by Azure Information Protection?" to help track this request.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support

• Thank you for your response, this does make sense. 

I have been unable to read the KB, should I be ble to?

Many thanks

Si

• Hello Si,

In order to read the KB article, you would need to have purchased On Demand Migration (ODM). If you have purchased ODM and are still unable to read the KB article, then you may need to have your ODM license number associated with your Quest Support account. For assistance with associating your ODM license number with your Quest Support account, you can reach our Customer Service department by phone by using a local number on the page below:

https://support.quest.com/essentials/phone-number-listing

In regards to the content of the KB article, it does not include any more details then what I have posted above.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder
    Quest | Support