Mail Queue Option with Cut over day

Hi, 

We are planning to do the T2T but same domain name ( Contoso.com---> Contoso.com)

How do we minimize mail down time during this cutover day?  

What will happen to the incoming emails or outgoing emails? 

Plan is to migrate all the mailboxes and changed the MX to a new tenant. 

Ta

Parents
  • The "Domain Move" add-on may help here: https://www.quest.com/products/on-demand-migration/#onesolutionmanyworkloadsplusad-24600266004004977

Also, if you want to be able to send and receive mail from Contoso.com in both Tenants during migration, we also offer a "Domain Coexistence" add-on.

• Are they paid modules?  if not what will happen or how do we mitigate that?

• My approach to this across 5 tenant migrations, the largest being 180 users has been to enable the mail forwarding from source to target and then do the cutover at a weekend.
    There's the possibility mail could get rejected during the move of the domain but the tenants I have migrated are rather low on email throughput and this has worked well so far.

I'm still looking into a true solution to simply hold/queue the mail for this as the advanced mail flow options in quest aren't that well documented/explained IMO and I need to research further.

Domain move is included in the T5 Licensing and can be a standalone addon to T3 if you don't need the other T5 features.

• FYI Domain Move is add-on to a T5 or a standalone item. It also has an SMTP host that collects any messages sent during the domain move process. 

'm still looking into a true solution to simply hold/queue the mail for this as the advanced mail flow options in quest aren't that well documented/explained IMO and I need to research further.

What are you referring to with this "advanced mail flow options in quest ". Maybe I can field your questions.

• ah, my bad, I thought it got included at T5, I recall the extra line item now for Domain Move.
    Is queueing in the basic mode relatively new? - I'm sure when I last tried to use Domain Move that wasn't available and it only helped to move proxy addresses and register the domain in the tenant.

The advanced mail flow I was referring to was the coexistence advanced mode. The last time I tried to use domain move it wasn't a great experience, I ended up abandoning it and just scripting it up in PS and is in fact what I'm doing right now. Once the final OneDrive migration completes... Perhaps I need to revisit Domain Move and have a session with someone from Quest. - I need to get up to speed with the new Azure AD Device migration options too.

• ah, my bad, I thought it got included at T5, I recall the extra line item now for Domain Move.
    Is queueing in the basic mode relatively new? - I'm sure when I last tried to use Domain Move that wasn't available and it only helped to move proxy addresses and register the domain in the tenant.

The advanced mail flow I was referring to was the coexistence advanced mode. The last time I tried to use domain move it wasn't a great experience, I ended up abandoning it and just scripting it up in PS and is in fact what I'm doing right now. Once the final OneDrive migration completes... Perhaps I need to revisit Domain Move and have a session with someone from Quest. - I need to get up to speed with the new Azure AD Device migration options too.

Children
No Data