Question about migration from O365 tenant to On-prem EX2016

When setting up the migration plan in ODME using source O365 and target on-prem Ex2016, I'm unable to apply any forwarding on the source O365 mailbox.  The options for forwarding (optional) are completely greyed out.  I understnad that ODME can't apply forwarding on on-prem exch servers, but since my source is O365 why wouldn't ODME let me apply forwarding on the source?

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Trevor, yes, the source is o365 and the target is microsoft exch 2016.  I would also add that in the forwarding (optional) section, along with everything being greyed out, the last thing it says in the greyed out box is "the selected target connection does not support forwarding".  I'll open a ticket unless you might know why it says target connection does not support forwarding.

• Hi Michael,

You should be able to check the box for "Forward new items as they arrive", then "Set forwarding address on: Source (Microsoft Office 365). You should then be able to type in the SMTP domain to forward mail to, such as "targetdomain.com".

It does appear that ODME is currently does not support setting forwarding on the on-premise Exchange 2016 server, however, that does not appear to be what you are tying to do based on your description. 

From my understanding you are trying to set forwarding from the source Office 365 tenant to the target on-premise Exchange 2016 server, correct?

If so, then you should be able to perform this operation within ODME. If you are unable to, then yes, you may need to create a Service Request so that we can investigate further.

• Hi Trevor, yes it's correct, i'm trying to set forwarding from source o365 tenant to target on-prem exch2016, but the options are greyed out.  Maybe because the on-premExchange2016 is part of the project, ODME is not allowing any forwarding at all even though it supports it from the o365 side?  I'll see about opening a service request in this case.