Distributing CPUU on non-ad machines

Hi,

Im working on a case on which I am proposing Ondemand Migration for Email. I have some questions regarding the product and I was hoping someone could help me. I also have an assumptions and I was hoping to clarify them here.

1. What would be the best approach to distribute CPUU on non-domain joined machines? Some mergers are only between 2 Office 365 tenants where there is no Active Directory, only an Azure Active Directory. Ive used CPUU before in AD environments which was easy to to, but now I dont have the ability to use a start up script. Maybe someone can share their experiences on how this was achieved? 

2. This is an assumption, I was hoping someone could confirm this.. Im guessing the switch message is send when the mailbox is migrated? Or is the switch message send when you enable the CPUU setting to update? What my idea is, is to first run the migration without the CPUU setting enabled, then re-run the migration with the CPUU setting enabled. This way I can migrate most of the mailbox content without switching the mailbox. When ready to switch run the delta sync and switch the mailbox. Is this a scenario that is supported?

Thanks

• Hello Stephan,

Thanks for posting to the On Demand Migration for Email (ODME) forum. I understand you have questions about using Client Profile Updating Utility (CPUU). First, you mention that you are migrating between two Office 365 tenants, although ODME can migrate mail/calendar/tasks in this scenario, we have another product On Demand Migration (ODM) that is able to also migrate OneDrive and Teams data as well that you might find better suited for an Office 365 tenant to tenant migration. Here is a link to ODM:

https://www.quest.com/products/on-demand-migration/

Here is a link to the Quest On Demand forum, which includes ODM:

https://www.quest.com/community/on-demand

In answer to your questions:

1.) I don't have any great suggestions for managing non-domain joined machines. You may be able to copy a startup script to the Windows startup folder within a user's Windows profile remotely. Architecting how to best run the CPUU script on a large scale is outside of the scope of Quest Support. Hopefully, others will be able reply to this question with suggestions.

2.) The CPUU "switch message" is inserted at the end of a migration process that is ran with the "Enable Outlook Profile Update" option selected. You can see verification of a successful switch message at the end of a migration log with this option selected.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification.

Regards,

Trevor Taegder

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Quest | Support

• So in the past, I have used a Self-Extracting archive that invoked the CPUU. This was posted on a web/ftp site and we used the notification message to provide that link This gave us a just in time distribution. 
    Note: We did need to sign the archive with a trusted cert to allow the CPUU process to run in the proper context to update the profile if the user selected RUN vers save. Else user needed to save the downloaded file,, and then run it. 

• Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your input. I understand that you cant provide me with a complete answer on how to deploy CPUU on non-domain joined clients. However I do see a rising number of tenants which are 100% cloud only and dont have an Active Directory. With your new Ondemand product I was hoping that this was also being address. Some of your 'competitors' are making progress in providing tooling for non-domain joined devices. Do you know if this is an feature request?

So for the second point I can follow the following approach.

1. Create a migration project and start the migration (without CPUU enabled). This way I can move most of the mailbox content in advance

2. When ready to switch enable the CPUU option en rerun the migration project  

• Thank you for you input Jeff, I will look into this to asses if this solution fits our project

• Hi Stephan,

First, I am not aware of an Enhancement Request to provide solutions for running CPUU on non-Active Directory joined workstations without end-user involvement. I am bringing this request to the attention of the product team and will provide you with an update when I receive it. Depending on the Office 365 licenses in use, Microsoft does provide other management tools such as Intune, which may be leveraged in place of Group Policy.

In answer to your questions:

1.) Yes, this sounds like a completely valid approach.

2.) Yes, running an additional ODME migration with the "Enable Outlook Profile Update" option selected, will generate the "switch message" in the source mailbox and allow CPUU to switch the end-users Outlook profile the next time CPUU is ran.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarification. 

Regards,

Trevor

• Hi Trevor,

Thank you for the update and the conformation about my approach.

Thanks for keeping me updated, I think its going to be a feature I'll need in the future.

Regards, Stephan

• Hi Stephan,

The product team has logged an Enhancement Request, CPUU-1503, to consider and investigate adding additional functionality to the Client Profile Updating Utility (CPUU) to improve deployment and unattended activation of the utility for non-Active Directory joined workstations.

Regards,

Trevor