This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

App Launcher executes bat file but commands inside it do not install program

I have a batch file that is designed to install a DLP solution called Digital Guardian.  Once it installs it copies the installer log to a central repository. This batch file works interactively if we run command prompt as administrator and paste in the path to the file.  

In DA 9.3.0.1503 in Application Launcher we see the line that this ran here (it is element 86):

07:49:23 [companyname 86/86 - debf8000-f759-4c5f-8c0f-6a39e485dd0d]
07:49:23 sub> SLexec: executing program: Target=["\\companyname.com\dfs\applications\IT Apps\Digital Guardian\InstallWorkstation.bat"] Arguments=[] Flags=[- Hidden Continue Admin LOGON ]
07:49:23 Calling :: $SLcom.Exec("\\companyname.com\dfs\applications\IT Apps\Digital Guardian\InstallWorkstation.bat",,1,0,1,0,,0,)
07:49:23 Got Back From .Exec Call
07:49:23 return code not available for async execution
07:49:23 sub> slRegEdit: Action=[WriteValue] Key=[HKCU\Software\ScriptLogic\PL] Value=[O1Q7V30] Data=[2017/03/07] Type=[REG_SZ] Force32=[0] 07:49:23 sub> slRegEdit: Action=[WriteValue] Key=[HKLM\Software\ScriptLogic\PL] Value=[O1Q7V30] Data=[2017/03/07] Type=[REG_SZ] Force32=[1]

So I have evidence that it "hit" on Application Launcher element 86 which is basically looking at various computer names for a test run of this software package.  No problem with logic, just a problem that the program does not install, nor does it create an installer log file.  Here is the contents of the InstallWorkstation.bat file:

msiexec.exe /i "\\companyname.com\dfs\applications\IT Apps\Digital Guardian\companyname_PROD_DGAgent_WindowsWorkstation_7.3.0.01021.msi" /qn /l*v c:\Temp\DGInstallationFullLog.txt

copy /y c:\temp\DGInstallationFullLog.txt \\companyname.com\dfs\applications\log\%computername%-DGInstallationLog.txt

Again I don't think the batch file is at fault here because we can run it from an admin command prompt and the program installs and copies the installation log file to that central \log directory with the computer name prefixed to the file.

In Application launcher its set to run administratively (end users do not have local admin / install rights) and its set to run asynchronously (we do not want to delay the login - its a 317 MB installer).

What could possibly be the issue here?  Note I changed our company name to "companyname" in the above since this is a public forum.

• I figured it out.

We moved the install package from \companyname.com\dfs\applications\IT Apps\Digital Guardian\ to \companyname.com\dfs\applications\DG\ and modified the batch file accordingly. Aparently the application launcher does not like spaces in the path. I even had quotes around it knowingly because there are spaces in the path. I guess that only works interactively or when pasted into an admin command prompt.

Moral of the story... never use spaces in a path, even if you surround them by quotes!