This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Removal of old cartridges

Hi

What should the policy be for the removal of old cartridges from Foglight?

Given that i install a v5.8.5.7 of the Infrastructure cartridge. When would the best time be to remove the 5.8.5.5 or earlier versions of the cartridge (if you have any installed on the FMS servers).

Should I leave it installed in the background or can I go ahead an uninstall the old cartridge?

Is there anything that could break when I uninstall and older version?

Regards

• Hi Barryla,

It is safe to delete old cartridges. Once you upgraded to 5.8.5.7 Infrastructure cartridge, dependencies to the old cartridge now point to the new cartridge. E.g dashboards and rules were upgraded to the latest version.
    So go ahead and uninstall the disabled cartridges, nothing will break.

Gaston.
  • Gaston is right!

Here is a little more of a detailed answer, which is mainly to cover double checking Foglight has performed the upgrade successfully before uninstalling the old version of the cartridge:

Foglight never runs two versions of the same cart. Once Foglight is using the new version of the cartridge, it's ok to delete the old version of the cartridge. The old version is not deleted automatically in order to give the use the ability to rollback, if required.

step 1: Upgrade to the new version of the cartridge. If the upgrade is successful, all of your agents should now be using the new version of the cartridge.

step 2: double check: go to admin agent status dashboard and see if any of your agents use the old version of the cart. Check the status of the old cartirdge (it should be disabled)

step 3: if old versions are used, try upgrading to the newest version of the cart (then goto step 2)

step 4: delete the old cart version

Federation: If you run a federated environment, upgrade the federation master first, and then upgrade each of the children.