This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Script the addition of a new sql instance with litespeed to the central repository without the GUI

We are automating the install of litespeed to go along with our automated sql build/configuration process.  One step I cannot find scripting information for is how to register the new instance with the central repository so it shows up in the list of registered servers in the GUI without having to manually add it there.

Any suggestions/solutions?

• Hello,

If you are setting up your script to have the new SQL instance report to a central repository. Then the list pulled from the central repository will be updated to include that SQL instance during the install.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-

• Hi Ben,
    Thank you for the reply. We do have the install configured to connect to a central repository, but when I look at the registered servers in the LiteSpeed for SQL Server GUI, I do not see any of the servers that were just installed. I'm looking at the servers listed under the 'Backup Manager' pane on the left.
  • One other tip.

If you are using remote deploy then the list will be updated when the server connects to the central. This will not happen during the install.

So I suggest you script the following task to run.

C:\Program Files\Quest Software\LiteSpeed\SQL Server\Engine\ActivityManager.exe

This will force all SQL instances on that node to connect to the central they are configure for.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-

• Please note these tips only work if you are using the below view.

If so, please refresh the console to see new servers added to the list.

• If none of this is working as outlined here.

Please switch to a local view

registry the server and check if the below message is seen.

If so this is why the steps failed. Once a backup or other activity is recorded in the local and pushed to the central.

The "central view" list should be updated.

Hope that helps,

-Ben-

• Thanks again for your help, Ben.

We are using the Central Repository and when I run the ActivityManager.exe from the newly created install, it adds an entry to the [LiteSpeedCentral].[dbo].[LitespeedServer] table. The problem is, it still does not show in the GUI. If I try and manually add the registered server to the GUI, I get a 'duplicate server' entry. I wind up having to run LiteSpeed_DeleteInstanceEntries to remove it from the table, then use the GUI to put it back.

It seems like we are close to having the install let this show automatically in the registered servers, but something is missing...

Thanks again,
    Keith
  • Hello Keith,

No problem I'm always happy to help.

Please note the process is designed to update the list when a server connects and updates the central. No user interaction should be needed. The steps above are to force the process ahead of when it would happen normally if just allowed to run its course. (IE: Normally the SQL instance is added to the list the next time a scheduled backup task runs, but this could be several hours after you install the product. If you had no scheduled task you would have to use the console in "local" view to create and setup your Litespeed processes.)

Did you refresh the console after running the activitymanger process?

If so, and you still do not see the instance, I would suggest you open a support case. So we can review your setup.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-
  • Hello Keith,

I have reproduce your issue.

Please follow these steps on the computer running the console that has this problem.
    Please note this is an issue with the console running on that computer. Not an issue with the process of registering a SQL instance.

1. First place the console in "local" view and close it.
    2 . Then navigate to the below location and delete any file with this format (No need to save the file. The Litespeed console will rebuild it)

EXAMPLE Location
    C:\Users\<windows account>\AppData\Local\Quest Software\LiteSpeed

EXAMPLE FILE:

central_centralservername_LiteSpeedCentral.list

3. Review the below file also located in C:\Users\<windows account>\AppData\Local\Quest Software\LiteSpeed

LiteSpeedConsole.settings

At the bottom of the file should be a section like this.
    (note that "profilemode" is set to local. It should be after step 1 above was completed. If not close the file and complete step one above before proceeding)

<ProfileMode>Local</ProfileMode>
    <BackgroundProcessingPanelDock>Right</BackgroundProcessingPanelDock>
    </Formyserver>
    </Settings>

4. Reopen the Litespeed console and select "central" view.

The view should now be correct.

If you are not sure about following these steps. Please open a support case and bring these steps to the attention of your support rep. Feel free to drop my name as the person who suggested these steps.

Hope that helps,
    -Ben-

• Hey Ben, I guess I will open a support ticket. What you recommended worked, the problem is, the ONLY way I get new instances to appear is to do those steps again. In short:

1. I verify the instance is NOT in the LiteSpeedCentral.dbo.LiteSpeedServer table.
    2. I run ActivityManager.exe on the instance.
    3. I verify I NOW see an entry for the server in LiteSpeedCentral.dbo.LiteSpeedServer table.
    4. I refresh the Central Repository connection from the LiteSpeed Console - I don't see it.
    5. I disconnect from the Central Repository in the console and reconnect - I don't see it.
    6. I shut down the app, re-open, I don't see it.
    7. Only be repeating the steps you outlined above will the Console show the new instance.

The ideal situation is a new instance is added, the install process we use will manually fire off the ActivityManager.exe and a refresh of the Central Repository connection would show the new instance.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate you trying to help me through this,
    Keith