This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VM's randomly experience connectivity errors.

Every so often I will get errors with backup transfers that end up being connectivity errors in Rapid Recovery. For example, I have a VM that performed backups no issues every hour today except at 2:00 when I received an error that said it couldn't complete a backup due to "The Virtual Machine 'machine name' paired to another core." The stack trace reveals this:

Server side:

System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The virtual machine 'OTTEIQDATACOL' paired to another Core at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineClient.GetVirtualMachine(Boolean ignorePairing) at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgentClient.GetCurrentMetadata(MetadataCredentials metadataCredentials) at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.AgentsMetadataHelper.GetAgentMetadataInternalClient(AgentDescriptor agentDescriptor, IAgentClient agentClient) at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.b__9() at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.AgentClientSend[TResult](Func`1 func) at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgent.GetMetadata() at Replay.Core.Implementation.Metadata.Cache.MetadataCacheService.UpdateAgentMetadataCacheEntry(IAgent agent, Boolean isForced, Boolean tryAgentServiceHostRestart)

UI side:

at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineClient.GetVirtualMachine(Boolean ignorePairing)
at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgentClient.GetCurrentMetadata(MetadataCredentials metadataCredentials)
at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.AgentsMetadataHelper.GetAgentMetadataInternalClient(AgentDescriptor agentDescriptor, IAgentClient agentClient)
at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.b__9()
at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.AgentClientSend[TResult](Func`1 func)
at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgent.GetMetadata()
at Replay.Core.Implementation.Metadata.Cache.MetadataCacheService.UpdateAgentMetadataCacheEntry(IAgent agent, Boolean isForced, Boolean tryAgentServiceHostRestart)

We aren't performing any maintenance or doing anything with our VMware / Rapid Recovery infrastructure. Upon closer inspection of the VM in RR console, at the top it says "Some actions and metadata are unavailable because machine is unreachable."
I can connect to the VM using RDP just fine. Additionally in the RR console it says the disks are missing (which is also untrue).

What's causing these errors and how can I prevent them?

Parents
  • So I had to reject the supposed answer above as I just started getting this error again.

Quest Core on RRCore has reported the Error event "Transfer has failed":

Date/Time: 07/24/2017 15:03:54 -04:00

The transfer of the backup of '\\Hard disk 1\Volume 1; \\Hard disk 1\Volume 2' on 'VMname' failed

The virtual machine 'VMname' paired to another Core

System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The virtual machine 'VMname' paired to another Core
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineClient.GetVirtualMachine(Boolean ignorePairing)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgentClient.GetCurrentMetadata(MetadataCredentials metadataCredentials)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgentClient.GetCurrentSummaryMetadata(MetadataCredentials metadataCredentials)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.AgentsMetadataHelper.GetAgentSummaryMetadataInternalClient(AgentDescriptor agentDescriptor, IAgentClient agentClient)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.<GetSummaryMetadata>b__c()
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.AgentClientSend[TResult](Func`1 func)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Transfer.Validation.Implementation.ProtectedAgentTransferValidator.Validate()
    at Replay.Core.Contracts.Validation.ValidatorBase.AggregateValidator.Validate()
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Transfer.Queuing.Implementation.TransferQueueService.StartTransfer(TransferQueueEntry entry)
    ---

About this event: The transfer of a new recovery point from the protected machine has failed
  • So I had to reject the supposed answer above as I just started getting this error again.

Quest Core on RRCore has reported the Error event "Transfer has failed":

Date/Time: 07/24/2017 15:03:54 -04:00

The transfer of the backup of '\\Hard disk 1\Volume 1; \\Hard disk 1\Volume 2' on 'VMname' failed

The virtual machine 'VMname' paired to another Core

System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The virtual machine 'VMname' paired to another Core
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.VSphere.EsxVirtualMachineAgentClient.GetCurrentSummaryMetadata(MetadataCredentials metadataCredentials)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.AgentsMetadataHelper.GetAgentSummaryMetadataInternalClient(AgentDescriptor agentDescriptor, IAgentClient agentClient)
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Agents.ProtectedAgent.<GetSummaryMetadata>b__c()
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Transfer.Validation.Implementation.ProtectedAgentTransferValidator.Validate()
    at Replay.Core.Contracts.Validation.ValidatorBase.AggregateValidator.Validate()
    at Replay.Core.Implementation.Transfer.Queuing.Implementation.TransferQueueService.StartTransfer(TransferQueueEntry entry)
    ---

About this event: The transfer of a new recovery point from the protected machine has failed
Children
No Data