This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Core inside a VM (Guest)

Can we put RR inside a virtual machine without limitations?

I'm sure I read somewhere about export limitations and the like..

• As long as the VM has the proper resources for the RR Core's sizing, and the VM host infrastructure has enough resources to accommodate all workflow, the RR software will work fine within a VM and without limitations.

You do want to consider exports to a different host and datastore. You would also want to place the RR repository on a different storage device or datastore from the main datastore that stores all production VMs. This prevents putting all your eggs in one basket.
  • Also if we are talking about VMware VMs, and where to install the RR core, keep in mind that where you install the core enables or disables certain features.

For an example if the RR core is running upon a physical server you may have the option to use LAN-Free SAN:

support.quest.com/.../195634

If it is installed within a VMware VM you may have the option of using the HotAdd feature:

support.quest.com/.../185966

Pros and Cons to both, not a question of 'right' or 'wrong.'
  • Thank you. In my case, this is a Hyper-V install.
  • Derek is correct, there are not any limitations. The 'extra' features I mentioned above are provided by VMware, HV just doesn't have that type of feature set. It'll work just fine, just as with every other VM setup - separating the resources as much as possible (disks/network) will provide you a higher amount of overall satisfaction, but either way, it'll work just fine.