This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is Rapid Recovery compatible with Synology DSM?

We have are currently using a Synology DiskStation as our file server. We weren't sure if it was compatible with Rapid Recovery. I know that Rapid Recovery works with a handful of Linux distributions but I didn't see anything for Synology DSM.

Parents
  • Hi Zacklong:
    To simplify, the LUN process works like this:
    1. On the iSCSI Server (Synology DiskStation) you create (carve) a LUN
    2. On the target machine (i.e. a Windows server) you run the iSCSI initiator and connect to the LUN
    3. You format the LUN using the desired filesystem (i.e. NTFS)
    4. The LUN acts like a local drive for that host.

The question is how to move files around so the LUN gets populated.
    The obvious way (which, however, should be performed only if everything else fails) is to connect the same host both to the LUN and to the CIFS share with data and do a xcopy or robocopy (if files are not locked).

However, if I remember correctly, there are ways to copy/move data at the DiskStation level. If any reader with recent DiskStation experience sees this, please jump in and help.
    1. From the GUI -- Control Panel -> Shared Folder, select a share, right click and go to edit you can change which Volume the shared folder is on. It will move in the background.
    2. Disk Station File Manager
    3. rsync (if you are proficient in Linux)

I guess that any method should work if you are using Windows for the hosts as Synology supports NTFS.

Oh -- I just stumbled over an unrelated article that may be helpful when planning your DR scenarios. Please see below.
    www.synology.com/.../How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC
  • Hi Zacklong:
    To simplify, the LUN process works like this:
    1. On the iSCSI Server (Synology DiskStation) you create (carve) a LUN
    2. On the target machine (i.e. a Windows server) you run the iSCSI initiator and connect to the LUN
    3. You format the LUN using the desired filesystem (i.e. NTFS)
    4. The LUN acts like a local drive for that host.

The question is how to move files around so the LUN gets populated.
    The obvious way (which, however, should be performed only if everything else fails) is to connect the same host both to the LUN and to the CIFS share with data and do a xcopy or robocopy (if files are not locked).

However, if I remember correctly, there are ways to copy/move data at the DiskStation level. If any reader with recent DiskStation experience sees this, please jump in and help.
    1. From the GUI -- Control Panel -> Shared Folder, select a share, right click and go to edit you can change which Volume the shared folder is on. It will move in the background.
    2. Disk Station File Manager
    3. rsync (if you are proficient in Linux)

I guess that any method should work if you are using Windows for the hosts as Synology supports NTFS.

Oh -- I just stumbled over an unrelated article that may be helpful when planning your DR scenarios. Please see below.
    www.synology.com/.../How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC
Children
No Data