This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is Rapid Recovery compatible with Synology DSM?

We have are currently using a Synology DiskStation as our file server. We weren't sure if it was compatible with Rapid Recovery. I know that Rapid Recovery works with a handful of Linux distributions but I didn't see anything for Synology DSM.

Parents
  • So I've created the LUN on our Synology and connected it to our Windows Server. The LUN is currently only 1 GB. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should be able to simply copy/move the files from the shared folder to the LUN.

Your first solution doesn't work because the LUN is already on the same volume as the folder share. Our Synology only has one volume. Additionally, the shared folder is consuming 2/3 of the volume's storage, so even if it was as simple as moving files to a different volume on the Synology, we can't really do that. That's why I was wondering if there was a way to make the LUN encompass the entire volume rather than just available free storage.

The second solution doesn't work for the same reason - the files take up more space than the LUN has (or could have given our available free space).

I'm not very familiar with the third option, rsync. It looks like it could work, considering it wouldn't be bound to the available free space on the Synology itself.

Thanks for talking me through this, I've learned a lot so far and I appreciate the article you sent me. At this point in time (unless I'm completely misunderstanding your solutions) it sounds like we're not going to be able to use an iSCSI LUN unless we increase our Synology's storage.
  • So I've created the LUN on our Synology and connected it to our Windows Server. The LUN is currently only 1 GB. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should be able to simply copy/move the files from the shared folder to the LUN.

Your first solution doesn't work because the LUN is already on the same volume as the folder share. Our Synology only has one volume. Additionally, the shared folder is consuming 2/3 of the volume's storage, so even if it was as simple as moving files to a different volume on the Synology, we can't really do that. That's why I was wondering if there was a way to make the LUN encompass the entire volume rather than just available free storage.

The second solution doesn't work for the same reason - the files take up more space than the LUN has (or could have given our available free space).

I'm not very familiar with the third option, rsync. It looks like it could work, considering it wouldn't be bound to the available free space on the Synology itself.

Thanks for talking me through this, I've learned a lot so far and I appreciate the article you sent me. At this point in time (unless I'm completely misunderstanding your solutions) it sounds like we're not going to be able to use an iSCSI LUN unless we increase our Synology's storage.
Children
No Data