This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calculating Retention Policy

Hi All,

I am using the default retention policy but not the default hourly snapshot interval. I am wondering if I should make some adjustments to maximize my repository. It has currently filled to about half and holding steady.

I have been staring at the if/and/or boolean logic statements in regards to holding snapshots for hours, days, weeks, months and the pretty colored bar graph at the bottom but honestly still can't really make any intelligent decisions on what to change. Is there any easy rule of thumb or calculator to help with this?

Thanks

Parents
  • There is no rule of thumb for retention, everyone is different.

What I would recommend

1) Don't think of it as retention, think of them as restores. What would you be comfortable saying you can/ cant restore. If a user comes to you and says I want a restore from X date, X months ago, are you fine saying you don't have it (since retention removed it) but you can restore from 30 days prior to the date they want.

2) Get your executive's to approve a retention plan, don't set one up on a guess. If they demand you keep more recovery points than you can hold, they need to buy more storage. If things go wrong and a user complains you cant restore what they need, the responsibility of what is retained falls back to executives, not you.
  • There is no rule of thumb for retention, everyone is different.

What I would recommend

1) Don't think of it as retention, think of them as restores. What would you be comfortable saying you can/ cant restore. If a user comes to you and says I want a restore from X date, X months ago, are you fine saying you don't have it (since retention removed it) but you can restore from 30 days prior to the date they want.

2) Get your executive's to approve a retention plan, don't set one up on a guess. If they demand you keep more recovery points than you can hold, they need to buy more storage. If things go wrong and a user complains you cant restore what they need, the responsibility of what is retained falls back to executives, not you.
Children
No Data