This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Difference in recovery points between core and replication server

I have a core server and replication one running 6.1.1.137

i started the replication process but not all recovery points are copied.

Here is the lsit of Main core server

This is my Replication 

How can i have the same recovery points on both?

Parents
  • In Rapid Recovery the source core and target core can have separate retention policies. To ensure you have the same recovery points on both sides you need to ensure that the retention policy is set identically on both. Once you have both set identically the data will remain under the same retention policy and should be close to identical.

The reason I say it will be close to identical is because the retention policy will be affected by the success of incoming replication and when the rollup job starts each day. If for instance, you have replication failures for a couple of machines for a few days you could potentially experience a situation where the two cores are slightly out of sync due to rollup running on the source but not on the target (since rollup only runs for agents that have a new recovery point in the previous 24 hours).

The other potential cause for disparity in your recovery points is the time that rollup starts. Rollup sets the start point for the retention policy by taking the date/time stamp for the most recent recovery point for that agent and then setting the start point to 12 AM of that same day. This way all recovery points created after 12 AM of that day are not touched by rollup. So if the source and target core run rollup at different times it is possible that the calculation of the retention policy will be different for each agent.

The last thing you need to know is once the rollup has occurred and the recovery point chains are different, there is no way to force the replication to make the target core identical to the source. The only thing you can do is delete all the recovery points for an agent on the target core and then re-replicate all of them. I don't suggest doing that unless your retention policy was significantly different and you are missing a lot of data on the target core.
  • In Rapid Recovery the source core and target core can have separate retention policies. To ensure you have the same recovery points on both sides you need to ensure that the retention policy is set identically on both. Once you have both set identically the data will remain under the same retention policy and should be close to identical.

The reason I say it will be close to identical is because the retention policy will be affected by the success of incoming replication and when the rollup job starts each day. If for instance, you have replication failures for a couple of machines for a few days you could potentially experience a situation where the two cores are slightly out of sync due to rollup running on the source but not on the target (since rollup only runs for agents that have a new recovery point in the previous 24 hours).

The other potential cause for disparity in your recovery points is the time that rollup starts. Rollup sets the start point for the retention policy by taking the date/time stamp for the most recent recovery point for that agent and then setting the start point to 12 AM of that same day. This way all recovery points created after 12 AM of that day are not touched by rollup. So if the source and target core run rollup at different times it is possible that the calculation of the retention policy will be different for each agent.

The last thing you need to know is once the rollup has occurred and the recovery point chains are different, there is no way to force the replication to make the target core identical to the source. The only thing you can do is delete all the recovery points for an agent on the target core and then re-replicate all of them. I don't suggest doing that unless your retention policy was significantly different and you are missing a lot of data on the target core.
Children
No Data