This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I use Rapid Recovery to insure protection of a Windows stand-alone server running an Oracle Database?

Is it possible to protect Oracle databases?   I know I can protect the server but what about the Oracle database?   I searched blogs but have found no information on how to do this.   There was a KB article and url mentioned in one post but the link failed.   Anyone backing up Oracle?   Have you tested restore?    Does it work?   I heard there might be an agent for Oracle?  

Thanks.

Mike

• Hi Mike,

If you are using a version of Oracle that has a VSS writer for Windows, then the backups should be application consistent and everything will work just fine. The VSS writer is what quiesces the data in memory to disk during a backup and Rapid Recovery calls all VSS writers on a system by default. The easy way to check if there is an Oracle VSS writer is to open a command prompt on the server running the Oracle DB and type the command "vssadmin list writers". That will show the installed writers and you should see one related to Oracle.

I haven't personally tested restore after using this method, but I know we have had customers use it successfully. As with any backup software, I'd recommend testing yours.

We are currently working on additional Oracle support in the next major release of the software. I don't have an ETA for when that will release, but when it does release, the entire process of working with Oracle should be much more clear and similar to the way we handle SQL now.

Tim