This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Network Performance Issues

After a recent switch issue that caused my exported VM's to fail I have become aware of what seems to be a RR only problem with network speed.

While exporting base images (and I assume snapshots) I am experiencing what I would call "bursting". That is to say a data/pause/data/pause condition that is slowing the entire process down. This can be seen both visually in the status window as alternating between a progress bar and the

//////////////////////////////

bar that you see while it is preparing something to move. The overall transfer times also indicate about 1/2 the transfer rate of sample data moved including from other backup software run on the same network.

I have dropped the firewalls and killed the firewall service. I have added the machines and users to each other at full permissions. This is a dedicated fiber network and Windows 2012 servers with RAID6 arrays.

For reference it took me 12 hours to move a 1.17TB base using RR. About twice as long as similarly sized moves across the same network.

Parents
  • Hello Again,

This makes sense to some degree however I am basing my comparison not on simply moving files in Windows explorer but other backup products like Symantec and Altaro both of which use dedup and compression (and probably custom block sizes as well).

Symantec is juat awful from the navel out in every direction but Altaro for example also writes directly to the Hypervisor across the same network and does so at almost twice the rate of RR

I know you guys have been beat up for network speed a lot and I'm not piling on but it does seems like something is up when it comes to network overhead and RR.

Thanks
  • Hello Again,

This makes sense to some degree however I am basing my comparison not on simply moving files in Windows explorer but other backup products like Symantec and Altaro both of which use dedup and compression (and probably custom block sizes as well).

Symantec is juat awful from the navel out in every direction but Altaro for example also writes directly to the Hypervisor across the same network and does so at almost twice the rate of RR

I know you guys have been beat up for network speed a lot and I'm not piling on but it does seems like something is up when it comes to network overhead and RR.

Thanks
Children
No Data