This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VM Export Failing "File or folder already exists"

Hi all,

I've been demoing the rapid recovery software for a couple weeks now and the one issue that has been absolutely killing me is setting up a virtual standby.  I can create the initial image with no issue and am able to work on the VM, but it continually fails doing the exports when I push a snapshot giving the following error:

Task 'Create virtual machine' failed: Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder /vmfs/volumes/5911bb9b-e8cc1f68-050b-2c768a4f1954/ALMO-EXCHANGE/ALMO-EXCHANGE.vmx already exists. For more details open events on ESXi host/vCenter

I can't seem to find anything on this so any help would be amazing!  Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Greetings. I'm curious what do you mean by this part for your process:

I can create the initial image with no issue and am able to work on the VM

Are you turning on the standby VM and working on it, configuring it, using it as it if it was live? The VS is a clone of the protected node, it's purpose isn't really meant to be on/working/live, and if it was powered on the next time you would go to do a virtual standby it would either provide you with an error message similar to what you listed, or that it was locked.

The other issue is that if you powered it on, and then DRS kicked in for your environment, then the VM would no longer be where it was when we left it last, so the core would try to create a new one, and then your VC would throw the error that it already exists (cause it does). To remedy this piece of the puzzle however, if you use DRS, disable the standby VMs for DRS.
  • Greetings. I'm curious what do you mean by this part for your process:

I can create the initial image with no issue and am able to work on the VM

Are you turning on the standby VM and working on it, configuring it, using it as it if it was live? The VS is a clone of the protected node, it's purpose isn't really meant to be on/working/live, and if it was powered on the next time you would go to do a virtual standby it would either provide you with an error message similar to what you listed, or that it was locked.

The other issue is that if you powered it on, and then DRS kicked in for your environment, then the VM would no longer be where it was when we left it last, so the core would try to create a new one, and then your VC would throw the error that it already exists (cause it does). To remedy this piece of the puzzle however, if you use DRS, disable the standby VMs for DRS.
Children
No Data