This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unallocated Space

How does Quest deal with unallocated space on a volume? Will it just ignore it?

We have one server with a very large primary partition and nothing on it but the OS. I would like to shrink that and leave the unused space as unallocated. One big reason for doing this is if/when I need to recover it I will not need to recover to an even larger partition than it is now.

Thanks

Parents
  • The unallocated space should be ignored like Tudor said. However, one caveat that I think is worth double checking is that the volume can be restored to a disk that is smaller than the original disk. Last time I checked the size of disk needed for restore needed to match the size of disk on the original machine. It's not based on volume size because it's related to the disk geometry. I could be totally off on that, but it sticks in my mind as something we run across every once in a while.
  • The unallocated space should be ignored like Tudor said. However, one caveat that I think is worth double checking is that the volume can be restored to a disk that is smaller than the original disk. Last time I checked the size of disk needed for restore needed to match the size of disk on the original machine. It's not based on volume size because it's related to the disk geometry. I could be totally off on that, but it sticks in my mind as something we run across every once in a while.
Children
No Data