This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unallocated Space

How does Quest deal with unallocated space on a volume? Will it just ignore it?

We have one server with a very large primary partition and nothing on it but the OS. I would like to shrink that and leave the unused space as unallocated. One big reason for doing this is if/when I need to recover it I will not need to recover to an even larger partition than it is now.

Thanks

Parents
  • Alright, this is what I have found regarding this situation in practice for RR 6.1.3.

Doing a BMR/rollback to a disk that has less capacity than the protected disk appears to be tied to the operating system of the protected node. For an example, if I tried to do restore to a smaller disk on a machine that was running Windows Server 2008, it would not work, anything that was 2K8 R2 or newer, it would work as long as the new disk had enough space to hold the files being restored.

So, 2K8 or older the disks have to be the same size or bigger. For restores of 2K8 R2 or newer you can restore to smaller disks.

Also for the shrink variable, I was not able to restore to smaller disk regardless of OS. I was able to restore the same size (current) or larger. I did not have to go to a disk as large as the original (if that makes sense). So, source was 100 GB, reduced it to 90 GB I am able to BMR to a 90, however nothing below.

• Alright, this is what I have found regarding this situation in practice for RR 6.1.3.

Doing a BMR/rollback to a disk that has less capacity than the protected disk appears to be tied to the operating system of the protected node. For an example, if I tried to do restore to a smaller disk on a machine that was running Windows Server 2008, it would not work, anything that was 2K8 R2 or newer, it would work as long as the new disk had enough space to hold the files being restored.

So, 2K8 or older the disks have to be the same size or bigger. For restores of 2K8 R2 or newer you can restore to smaller disks.

Also for the shrink variable, I was not able to restore to smaller disk regardless of OS. I was able to restore the same size (current) or larger. I did not have to go to a disk as large as the original (if that makes sense). So, source was 100 GB, reduced it to 90 GB I am able to BMR to a 90, however nothing below.

Children
No Data