This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replication on two locations

My question is can data in two locations be replicated with each other to make sure that both backups are identical? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• Rapid Recovery's replication feature allows for 2 cores to sync up their recovery points between one another. The source core (the one that is doing the backup) will backup the data from the protected machine, then once the recovery point is committed to the repository the core can replicate that recovery point over to another core so that data is stored upon on a separate core and a separate repository. The two cores can have the same retention policy, or they can have different retention policies, it is your choice whether you want to keep the same amount of data in the two repositories, or if you want to have more/less at either side, your decision.
  • How do we check/change the retention policy? Thanks for your answer. Im new to this.
  • If this is for Rapid Recovery (AppAssure was slightly different) you would click on the 'three dots' which is the 'More' options, directly under the 'y' in Rapid Recovery in the upper left hand corner of the core UI. From here you would select retention policy and you can find the breakdown of retention here. This is where you find the 'core default' which all the agents will use, by default. If you want one or more to have a different retention policy, you would choose that node directly by clicking on it from the left hand panel > click 'More' at the top of the page > Retention Policy.

The same applies to both the source at the target core.
  • Thanks a lot, man. Really informative. I'm not sure how to paraphrase this next question but can two sites be running their own backups of the same data?
  • If you're asking for 2 cores to backup the same protected machine/VM, that answer is no, you can't do that. Whether it is agent based backups, or agent-less backups (HV or VMware) it can only be backed up by 1 of our Cores. The metadata on the protected node will notice the core that is backing it up and if you were to try to add it to another it would say 'it is already backed up by 'x' do you want to switch it.' The direct backup can only be done by 1 core. The replication however can be done to as many cores as you like. So you can do the backup via 1 and replicate that RP off to 20 other cores if you so desire.
  • Would this be called cross replication? or is that something else?
  • Thanks a lot, Sir. You have been extremely helpful.
  • Honestly, we don't really name it differently, we just call it Replication. Never really thought it like that honestly. Just things that you can do if you so choose to.