Unable to take backup of one Hyper-V server in quest rapid recovery tool

I'm unable to take backup of one Hype-V server. Agentless backup is configured for this server.

OS version of the client server is:-Microsoft windows server 2012 R2 standard

Rapid recovery agent version:-6.0.1.609

Problem I'm facing described below:-

The transfer failed: 'Call to service method https://servername:8006/apprecovery/api/agent/transfer/snapshots POST failed: Failed to call Create File on disk '\\.\PhysicalDrive0' - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'
Failed to call Create File on disk '\\.\PhysicalDrive0' - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

VSS writer components are no error state and server rebooted 21 days ago.

Please help me to  resolve the issue

Thanks

Sujoy

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Emte

Thanks for your suggestion but there is one error is showing in event log of that server stating that volume  recovery point was not optimized because an error was encountered.File move failed.Event ID:-257

is this error related to this backup failure?

This line is not matching with the error generated:-

The specified network resource or device is no longer available' error appears on GUI if connected usb device goes into unknown state on the Core machine (242775)

Error is showing that:-The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'

Thanks

Sujoy

• The technote is about the Core so if you are seeing this error on the backup of a client I don't think its 100% related. But it maybe a good starting point.

For example since this is a VM, check the VM and make sure there are no CD/DVD drives or any other type of mounted disk that does not need to be there. 

Take a manual VSS snapshot (excluding RR) to see if it works. It may give you a better failure message also

• Okay

what is RR?

Manual VM snapshot:-How  to take this.This is Hyper-V server not VM

Thanks

Sujoy

• 1) RR = Rapid Recovery

2) The process to run vss manual depends a bit on the OS version but the basic is

vssadmin create shadow /for=c:

Substite C: for the volume that is failing

3) Speaking of that, what is \\.\PhysicalDrive0?

Finding this is super confusing in RR since they just assign this at random for some reason and it is NOT related to the disk assignments via Windows 

4) You said this was an agentless backup, so you are still taking a snapshot of a VM but you are calling the host HyperV to do it. 

Make sure the host being backed up does not have any DVD/CD/USB drives BOTH:

a) Configured in the HyperV

b) Selected for Backup in the Core Console

• HI Emte,

Client server rebooted but now today when we are initiating backup it is getting cancelled automatically

Thanks

Sujoy