[machine name] validation has failed. Machine [machine name] is paired to another Core. Protection is not allowed.

I rebuilt my Core machine and have added my vCenter back into the new Core. When I try to backup a VM I get the following error: "[machine name] validation has failed. Machine [machine name] is paired to another Core. Protection is not allowed."

How do I release the VM from the protection of the old Core? The old Core is no longer online or viable.

Parents
  • This is because the old Core ID is still present in the VMware VMs .vmx file.

If you're using Rapid Recovery 6.3 or newer,

From the Core console, navigate to the vcenter.
    Under 'Virtual Machines' Select the VM to add to protection. Click "..." and 'Protect'.

The "Protect Multiple Machines Wizard" will open up. On the Step "Protection Rules"
    tick the checkbox for "Protect machine if its paired with a different Core"

This should override the "validation has failed" due to the VM being protected by another Core.

Then proceed to add the machine into protection.

Steps that can be taken to avoid this:
    - When possible, Remove the machines from protection on the old Core, before adding them into protection on the new Core. Removing the Agentless protected VM from protection, will clear out the Rapid Recovery Core ID from the VMware VMs .vmx file. This will allow any other Core to protect the VM without the error.

- If you are moving a Core from one server to another. Backup the Core configuration file.
    Core | Settings | Back Up Settings

Restore the Core settings on the new Core server,
    Core | Settings | Restore Settings
    This will bring the Core ID and protected machines information across to the new Core.

• This is because the old Core ID is still present in the VMware VMs .vmx file.

If you're using Rapid Recovery 6.3 or newer,

From the Core console, navigate to the vcenter.
    Under 'Virtual Machines' Select the VM to add to protection. Click "..." and 'Protect'.

The "Protect Multiple Machines Wizard" will open up. On the Step "Protection Rules"
    tick the checkbox for "Protect machine if its paired with a different Core"

This should override the "validation has failed" due to the VM being protected by another Core.

Then proceed to add the machine into protection.

Steps that can be taken to avoid this:
    - When possible, Remove the machines from protection on the old Core, before adding them into protection on the new Core. Removing the Agentless protected VM from protection, will clear out the Rapid Recovery Core ID from the VMware VMs .vmx file. This will allow any other Core to protect the VM without the error.

- If you are moving a Core from one server to another. Backup the Core configuration file.
    Core | Settings | Back Up Settings

Restore the Core settings on the new Core server,
    Core | Settings | Restore Settings
    This will bring the Core ID and protected machines information across to the new Core.

Children