Failed to get the size of '\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1629' - The system cannot find the file specified

Hi All,

A backup has been failing recently with the error:

•Failed to get the size of '\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1629' - The system cannot find the file specified

I have looked up the knowledge base which recommends configuring the shadow copy to no limit for the specific drive.  I have had this issue before and the KB article solution normally works a charm, however, this particular backup is still failing despite setting the VSS Snapshot to no limit.

In this instance is there anything else I can attempt?

Thank You.

Parents
  • Hello I'm actually getting the same error but I don't have shadow copy enable how can I fix this error?

• It's common that you don't have shadow copies enabled, that simply means that you aren't using the OS to do your backups on top of your backup solution (like RR in this case). The same troubleshooting applies, the error generally references the fact that MS didn't have enough space to build/maintain the snapshot during the course of the backup. If you go to your MS event viewer on the machine that your trying to backup, and look at the system and/or event logs around the time the job failed, you'll see your error. It will more than likely tell you the volume in the error to validate which of your volumes doesn't have enough space to perform the task. 

• It's common that you don't have shadow copies enabled, that simply means that you aren't using the OS to do your backups on top of your backup solution (like RR in this case). The same troubleshooting applies, the error generally references the fact that MS didn't have enough space to build/maintain the snapshot during the course of the backup. If you go to your MS event viewer on the machine that your trying to backup, and look at the system and/or event logs around the time the job failed, you'll see your error. It will more than likely tell you the volume in the error to validate which of your volumes doesn't have enough space to perform the task. 

Children
No Data