RPFS index files continually run

Our systems manager has recently left the company and I have been sourced with dealing with this issue. Our repository is currently at 99% capacity. I understand space is only claimed back once the rpfs index files finished deleting. They have been deleting solidly now for at least 5 days. When can I expect them to finish so that space is reclaimed. Learning on the job here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• If they are continuously running, then they never 'catch' up. The only way to let them catch up is to let them have an open highway so that the core is doing nothing but delete for a period of time. You can do this by pausing your backups, or you can enable the nightly deferred delete job so that the the core does nothing by delete for 'x' number of hours. Once you fall behind in deletions for whatever reason (large amount of RP removals, larger/traffic heavy environment, burdened/slow storage) the only real ways to 'catch up' are those. More than likely you'll have to pause the backups, you'll notice when nothing else is running the deletion will run much, much faster. 

• Thank you for the response. How do I pause the backups? and would you suggest I pause them for a few days to catch up?

• The easiest way to pause them would be to click the '... to the right of the heading of 'Protected Machines' which will allow you to issue global commands. From here you can 'Pause Protection' which will pause all the backups. I'd personally leave it paused as long as you can to free up space. Are you seeing the deleting RPFS index jobs? Keep in mind you only see those if you click the service filter (gear icon) when looking at the events. Also, it wouldn't hurt that once you see them no longer running you bounce the core service to remove any locks from dedupded blocks of data that couldn't be deleted due to being in use.