SQL Server recovery

Dear All,

We have made the incremental backup of an SQL server database.

Unfortunately, all the "full" type backups of the database are all destroyed.

We can create a blank schema of the database again. How can I restore the incremental backups that are available?

Are there any tools for this?

Regards

Ambroise YAO

Parents
  • When you say you have the incremental backup, are this RR incremental recovery points? Or are you referring to an SQL backup itself? Either way, if you're talking about Rapid Recovery you MUST have the base (full) and all the incremental RPs leading to the incremental you want to restore. If you have that chain with RR you an pull out the .ldf and .mdf and do an FLR of the database, or export the server to a VM. 

• Thanks for your replies.
    Like I said, I only have the incremental backup files. We were unable to recover a compatible backup in time.
    So we would like to be able to access and read these increemental backup files, via a tool and rebuild the database.

Reply Children
  • Same question though, do you only have incremental Rapid Recovery backups? If you're wanting to do a Rapid Recovery restore with only an incremental RP, that is not possible. You must have the entire RP chain in order for the blocks to be read and the puzzle pieces put back together. 

• Hi ,

Unfortunatly, we do only have the incremental backup file for many several days. We do not have a full backup for each day.

The only thing we could have is a copy of database many days before.

Anyway, does it exist some tools which could help ?

Regards

AYAO

• I think we may just have a product usage problem here. You say you don't have a full backup for each day, you shouldn't. In a 'perfect' world, you would only have 1 base, the original, and then every single other day should be an incremental. The backups are incremental, the restore however is differential in nature. So if you have the incremental, can you mount that incremental and do an FLR of the MDF and LDF? If you mount the incremental from say 10/30 the folders/files you see are an image of what it looked like on 10/30: 

https://support.quest.com/rapid-recovery/kb/183138/mounting-and-dismounting-a-recovery-point

Normally 99% off all your recovery points just say incremental. Now if you go all the way to the first RP and there isn't a base, then you have a problem. Without a base, this CAN NOT be fixed.