Anyone using Synthetic Incrementals

I'm rolling out 6.5 and am very interested in the new synthetic incremental functionality. Unfortunately, the only documentation on it is in the 6.5 release notes saying that it exists. Is anyone using them? Can you share your experience, hang-ups, shortcuts?

Parents Reply
  • Not yet. When I first posted I also reached out to our Sales Rep who confirmed there wasn't any other documentation on it yet. I was told that her Product Manager would take my request as an action item to create some. Crickets. Your reply reminded me about this and I'm following up with her today. I'll keep you updated.

Children
  • I've used them. What questions do you have? 

• Quest recently added a new KB331728 if you would like more information.

We are using them and so far they have been great. It helps prevent unnecessary base images and reduce the amount of data you have to replicate. This is actually the driving force for us to update all older agents to 6.5 as quickly as possible. A dirty shutdown (due to power loss or other factors) causes machines protected by Rapid Recovery to require a new full base image. This can cause the repository to fill up and/or require a new seedload if the base images are too large to be replicated over the WAN. Synthetic Incremental backups can be forced manually, but to really benefit from the feature they should be enabled so that they will automatically occur when needed. Go to the settings of the Core and enable them (this should turn it on for all agents).