Servers filling up since replication appliance gone

Good afternoon,

I just started my role at this organization with no knowledge transfer.  I have never used Quest Rapid Recovery, so during my investigation I found out that apparently we had 2 appliances, but one disappeared (for whatever reason), so all the servers that are protected show yellow, and I believe that since replication is not taking place, the servers are getting full with AALog_xxxxxxx Files

I see the device is running version 6.2.1.100 (if that helps)

https://i.imgur.com/qrFxhcM.png

I am not sure how to fix this, while not completely destroy the existing data on the surviving appliance.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

Parents
  • Hi Claudio,

You have 2 ways to attack this problem: 

1. You can remove from protection the volume or volumes that are having problems, this will get rid of those log files automatically for you after around 5 minutes. Once they are no longer in the system you can reprotect them. The downside with this approach is that it is going to trigger a new base image.
    2. You can upgrade the core and agent to a newer version as the newer versions changed how they track the logs and no longer keep growing like that. Something 6.3 or newer should do the trick however if you prefer this approach I would recommend going to the latest version supported by your core OS.

Lastly, since you mention you are new to Rapid Recovery and they didn't give you any knowledge transfer I recommend you to watch these free training videos Rapid Recovery Administration: Module 1 - Product Overview - Free (quest.com). You can check the rest of them here Rapid Recovery - Educational Services (quest.com)

• Thanks a lot Victor, I don't believe we are licensed to upgrade any further than what we are, when I check the licensing it spits this error: "

There is a newer version of Rapid Recovery available, version 6.6.0.268. Maintenance for this license expired on 2020-10-31. Please contact Quest Software to renew maintenance in order to obtain this update."
    Regarding the protection, should I break this?  (This is the box that no one seems to know where it went) https://i.imgur.com/2uEHuE2.png
    I am including a sample from 1 server: https://i.imgur.com/xuphztz.png
  • Forgot to mention in my previous message, you have 2 different problems. 

1. Replication
    2. And AALogs

Both of them are not related one to another.

For the replication problem, you need to make sure the source core is able to reach the target core by testing ping to the hostname or IP address from the source core, and also making sure is able to telnet from the source to the target using the port 8006. If the server is not able to ping then the replicatin wont work, you can also remove the replication on both servers and try to add the replication server from the source core again.

To remove the volume from protection what you need to do is select the affected volumes and uncheck the protection check marks similar to this www.screencast.com/.../99LnBo07z

• Forgot to mention in my previous message, you have 2 different problems. 

1. Replication
    2. And AALogs

Both of them are not related one to another.

For the replication problem, you need to make sure the source core is able to reach the target core by testing ping to the hostname or IP address from the source core, and also making sure is able to telnet from the source to the target using the port 8006. If the server is not able to ping then the replicatin wont work, you can also remove the replication on both servers and try to add the replication server from the source core again.

To remove the volume from protection what you need to do is select the affected volumes and uncheck the protection check marks similar to this www.screencast.com/.../99LnBo07z

Children