Servers filling up since replication appliance gone

Good afternoon,

I just started my role at this organization with no knowledge transfer.  I have never used Quest Rapid Recovery, so during my investigation I found out that apparently we had 2 appliances, but one disappeared (for whatever reason), so all the servers that are protected show yellow, and I believe that since replication is not taking place, the servers are getting full with AALog_xxxxxxx Files

I see the device is running version 6.2.1.100 (if that helps)

https://i.imgur.com/qrFxhcM.png

I am not sure how to fix this, while not completely destroy the existing data on the surviving appliance.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

Parents
  • Hello Claudio. I totally agree with Victor, however if I fill in some other blanks. However if I can add some insight to this: 

"I just started my role at this organization with no knowledge transfer.  I have never used Quest Rapid Recovery, so during my investigation I found out that apparently we had 2 appliances, but one disappeared (for whatever reason), so all the servers that are protected show yellow, and I believe that since replication is not taking place, the servers are getting full with AALog_xxxxxxx Files"

1. You have inherited RR - it's a fine product. Like any others it has its nuances. We use it, resell it, and it really isn't a bad way to go. 
    2. Replication has nothing to do with the AALogs. The repo filling up, yes (as you can't run retention against recovery points that haven't been sent yet), however not the AAlogs
    3. The DL appliances have a 'write to use' license, which is perpetual, so you can continue to use RR on that version without maint or support until that hardware dies. However if you want to upgrade or get support, that is the maintenance (support) agreement which would have to be purchased from Quest, or from a reseller (which is honestly a niche that we fill day in and day out).

The way RR 'should' work, is the moment you backup a volume, the log files (the change logs) should reset themselves. So if the protected machines are in yellow, they ain't backing up, and yes, the logs will fill up. As Victor says, he is right, and we both will totally agree, this can break, and yes you have to either remove said volume from protection, and either (wait a few minutes, refresh metadata, run a backup, reboot, stop/start agent) and TYPICALLY that'll do it, but otherwise, the manual process: https://support.quest.com/kb/118402/how-to-delete-aalogs-change-logs which it may auto reboot on you. 

If you do get under maintenance, or get a license from a reseller, you can upgrade to whatever version is out there. Also like Victor says, the logic has changed over the years. 

To expound further on this, as it is a DL, it was (or use to be) under Dell/Quest hardware support, which kept you on Server 2K12 or 2K12 R2. Most of these devices are old enough that Quest/Dell will no longer offer support contracts for the hardware, however if you were to get a non-DL license from Quest or a reseller, you could then save the existing repo, and then image the hardware to 2K16, 2K19, or 2K22, whichever you wish. 

Lots of things, lots of options. Happy to help. By the way, hello Victor and Co, hope all is well. 

• Hello Claudio. I totally agree with Victor, however if I fill in some other blanks. However if I can add some insight to this: 

"I just started my role at this organization with no knowledge transfer.  I have never used Quest Rapid Recovery, so during my investigation I found out that apparently we had 2 appliances, but one disappeared (for whatever reason), so all the servers that are protected show yellow, and I believe that since replication is not taking place, the servers are getting full with AALog_xxxxxxx Files"

1. You have inherited RR - it's a fine product. Like any others it has its nuances. We use it, resell it, and it really isn't a bad way to go. 
    2. Replication has nothing to do with the AALogs. The repo filling up, yes (as you can't run retention against recovery points that haven't been sent yet), however not the AAlogs
    3. The DL appliances have a 'write to use' license, which is perpetual, so you can continue to use RR on that version without maint or support until that hardware dies. However if you want to upgrade or get support, that is the maintenance (support) agreement which would have to be purchased from Quest, or from a reseller (which is honestly a niche that we fill day in and day out).

The way RR 'should' work, is the moment you backup a volume, the log files (the change logs) should reset themselves. So if the protected machines are in yellow, they ain't backing up, and yes, the logs will fill up. As Victor says, he is right, and we both will totally agree, this can break, and yes you have to either remove said volume from protection, and either (wait a few minutes, refresh metadata, run a backup, reboot, stop/start agent) and TYPICALLY that'll do it, but otherwise, the manual process: https://support.quest.com/kb/118402/how-to-delete-aalogs-change-logs which it may auto reboot on you. 

If you do get under maintenance, or get a license from a reseller, you can upgrade to whatever version is out there. Also like Victor says, the logic has changed over the years. 

To expound further on this, as it is a DL, it was (or use to be) under Dell/Quest hardware support, which kept you on Server 2K12 or 2K12 R2. Most of these devices are old enough that Quest/Dell will no longer offer support contracts for the hardware, however if you were to get a non-DL license from Quest or a reseller, you could then save the existing repo, and then image the hardware to 2K16, 2K19, or 2K22, whichever you wish. 

Lots of things, lots of options. Happy to help. By the way, hello Victor and Co, hope all is well. 

Children
  • Thanks a lot Paul, I tried following the KB, the link on "how to get aces to the system volume information folder" is broken.

I cloned the VM to test this, and it worked. Can someone please let me know if this is OK or if this is super bad to do:

Stop Agent Service and set to Disabled
    Launch elevated command prompt
    execute the following commands:
    cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G MYUSERNAME:F
    assuremc disable C:
    del aalog*.*
    cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R MYUSERNAME
    assuremc enable C:
    Set Agent Service to Automatic (Delayed Start) and start Agent Service.

Thank you!

• I'm glad it worked. Good move on cloning first. It isn't the 'preferred' method, however it does work. With the older versions it is sometimes necessary (needed) to get the job done, that or a full removal of the agent should do it too. Just be prepared, it might abruptly reboot the OS without warning if you do it. Though not 'preferred' it does work.