This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Affect on repository when increasing retention length

Have 1 year retention policy on exchange data. What happens to the repository space requirements if the data retention is increased to two years? Is there an immediate need to increase the repository size? Or will RR warn me when space is becoming limited and needs to be increased?

• Hi Peter:
    The repository graphic representation changes color (from blue to red) when data grows over a certain threshold. If I remember correctly, it is when there is less than 20% or repository space available. As such, if you check the GUI on a often or if you use one of the reports that may be e-mailed to you on a daily basis such as support.software.dell.com/.../148172 you will be able to assess the health of your repository.
    As a special case, it is important to take into consideration what may happen a very large protected machine takes an unexpected base image (i.e. due to a crash caused by a power failure). In this case, it may be possible that the available repository space is insufficient to accommodate the new base image. The cascade effect involves that the other backups will fail due to the shortage of storage space.
    Another option is to look into archiving and archive the older recovery points either in the cloud or on cheaper storage. Since the RR 6.0.x archive can be mounted as read-only repositories (even if in the cloud) instead of requiring to import data, this may be a good work around.