This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"invalid" Wait Time Type

Under Wait Events, I see a 60,000ms Wait Time that comes and goes - but, sometimes will sit there for hours and also disappear for days.

It is for a Wait Type of "invalid". I cannot seem to find what an "invalid" Wait Time is.  It is under the category MISC.

No host identified, no SQL available, no database identified, only the user "sa" is listed.

It usually represents 95 - 99% of my Wait time.

If this is a real issue, I'd like to know what it is so that I can track it down and resolve it.

If it is just noise (e.g. "idle" time), I'd like to get rid of it as it ruining my ability to monitor true Wait Time.

• Hi,

The terms 'Invalid', 'Unknown' and 'SQL was not available' are all related to the fact that Spotlight collects wait types of all types of processes, event those that don't have a SQL statement associated with them. The Extended Events session from SQL Server that's responsible for collecting this data simply isn't returning data, and so, in place of the null data, Spotlight fills the fields with these terms.

We have a few articles on this behavior. You can from them here:
    support.quest.com/.../189600
    support.quest.com/.../195859

If you'd like to exclude these sessions from Wait Events, you can upgrade to the most recent version of Spotlight where we've tried to eliminate most of these sessions.

You can find the latest version here:
    support.quest.com/.../download-new-releases

Hope that helps.

Gita
  • After reviewing our logs for the past few days, upgrading has eliminated the issue.