This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrading vRanger

I am new to vRanger, just had it dumped in my lap actually.

Anyway, we have vRanger 7.1 and I see vRanger 7.6 is available.

Can I just download the upgrade and install it on-top of 7.1?

We currently have vSphere 5.5

Parents
  • Hello johnfli,

Welcome to the vRanger family!

First of all, I would recommend not to attempt the upgrade in place. Going from 7.1.x to 7.6.4 crosses at least 6 released versions so a direct upgrade would not have been tested.

Also, there are a number of environmental factors to consider before upgrading:
    1. Is vRanger on a VM or a physical machine?
    2. What kind of repositories are being used? Are they Windows CIFS shares, or something like Data Domain or Quest DR Series?
    3. Is the vRanger database local or remote?
    4. Is vRanger being used for backups, replications, or both?
    5. Are vRanger Virtual Appliances being used?
    6. How many hosts and VMs are in the environment?
    7. How many vRanger jobs are being run?
    8. Are there plans in place to be upgrading the vSphere environment?

Last, but certainly not least, are things working or was there a specific issue you would be attempting to resolve by upgrading?

We would be happy to review things with you and look at the best path getting vRanger current. I will reach out to you via a direct message to look into opening a Service Request to do just that.
  • Hello johnfli,

Welcome to the vRanger family!

First of all, I would recommend not to attempt the upgrade in place. Going from 7.1.x to 7.6.4 crosses at least 6 released versions so a direct upgrade would not have been tested.

Also, there are a number of environmental factors to consider before upgrading:
    1. Is vRanger on a VM or a physical machine?
    2. What kind of repositories are being used? Are they Windows CIFS shares, or something like Data Domain or Quest DR Series?
    3. Is the vRanger database local or remote?
    4. Is vRanger being used for backups, replications, or both?
    5. Are vRanger Virtual Appliances being used?
    6. How many hosts and VMs are in the environment?
    7. How many vRanger jobs are being run?
    8. Are there plans in place to be upgrading the vSphere environment?

Last, but certainly not least, are things working or was there a specific issue you would be attempting to resolve by upgrading?

We would be happy to review things with you and look at the best path getting vRanger current. I will reach out to you via a direct message to look into opening a Service Request to do just that.
Children
No Data