This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows reboot seems to've munged vRanger

I apologize, but I'm a total newbie to vRanger. We've been using it to backup one single Windows 2000 server; if we could do away with this server, we wouldn't need vRanger. I inherited this particular backup from a since-departed IT person, and I have absolutely 0 experience with vRanger.

Recently the server where vRanger is installed was patched / rebooted. Since then, the lone scheduled backup job has not been running. I've managed to find that scheduled job in the vRanger "console" (for lack of a better word?), but when I try to Run it manually, the job fails, with this:

No action was taken because there was no task created. The most likely cause of this issue is due to changes in the VirtualCenter Infrastructure (i.e., removing and re-adding an inventory item from the VirtualCenter or Host will cause ID mismatches). Please refresh inventory and re-create the job.

Aborted

I've tried refreshing the inventory, but that hasn't made any difference. The job that I'm trying to run is this:

Name: Backup EGBAXPWS4     Type: Backup    Source: EGBAXPWS4    Destination: Local Backup Folder    Enabled: True    Next Run: 2/10/2019

I'm also new to vmWare, so I don't know if it's significant or not... but I don't see EGBAXPWS4 in the inventory.

One last item, to add to all this: I can only bring up the vRanger console by starting whatever service vRanger needs in this fashion: D:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\vRanger\Service>Vizioncore.vRanger.Service
.exe DEBUG... So perhaps there's also a service that should have started up on the reboot but didn't?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Thank you for the reply.

I think the virtual server MUST still be in vmWare, since it still pings... but no matter what I do from within vRanger, I can't find it in the inventory.

"I understand you're new to both vRanger and VMware, but you can also open a support case if you need us to guide you through this. "

Is this support gratis? Because, so far as I know, we don't have a support contract. Maybe I'm wrong?

• The support is not gratis, you require a contract. 

You mentioned that you couldn't find this machine in VMware, do you see the virtual machine in the vSphere client inventory? Did someone move it to a different vCenter? Is vRanger connected successfully to the VC? (if it is, you should be able to see the hosts in the vRanger inventory).  

• The support is not gratis, you require a contract. 

You mentioned that you couldn't find this machine in VMware, do you see the virtual machine in the vSphere client inventory? Did someone move it to a different vCenter? Is vRanger connected successfully to the VC? (if it is, you should be able to see the hosts in the vRanger inventory).  

Children