Replication job keeps ending in "Error: -1 - An unknown error has occurred"

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a couple of replication jobs for our critical servers from our clustered production environment to a clustered replication area. Somehow all replication jobs end with the error message: "Error: -1 - An unknown error has occurred" and I'm struggling to figure out why this happens.

I'm running on the latest version of vRanger Backup & Replication (7.7.1.0). Also, all Virtual Appliances have been upgraded to the latest version available. All ESXi servers are running on ESXi version 6.0.0, build 3620759.

Could you please assist in what I am missing here? That would be great!

Thanks!

Chris

Parents
  • Hello Chris, 

There are several things that may be causing this -1 message. 

1. Can you confirm you have enough space in the scratch disk partition of the destination VA? It is created with 1GB default, which is not enough for the vzmap files which are used to keep track of the changes between the source VM and the replicated VM. 
    2. Do you see the replication job "rehashing disks" in the task text log?

Can you also tell me what values are set for the following parameters in the Vizioncore.vRanger.Service.exe.config file located in your vRanger installation directory?

• ReplicationPacketTimeout
    • ReplicationBlockSize
  • Hi Alexis,

Sorry for the late. Just became father again for the third time so had some time off with my fam Slight smile But am back in the office now!

1. I left everything as default as possible, so I indeed had the scratch disk configured by its default size (1GB). I will extend this disk and will try again.

2. I will monitor the log after I have completed step 1 and will come back to you.

As for the settings in the Vizioncore.vRanger.Service.exe.config file, please find the values below:

• <add key="ReplicationPacketTimeout" value="150"/>
    • <add key="ReplicationBlockSize" value="1024"/>

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Hi Alexis,

Sorry for the late. Just became father again for the third time so had some time off with my fam Slight smile But am back in the office now!

1. I left everything as default as possible, so I indeed had the scratch disk configured by its default size (1GB). I will extend this disk and will try again.

2. I will monitor the log after I have completed step 1 and will come back to you.

As for the settings in the Vizioncore.vRanger.Service.exe.config file, please find the values below:

• <add key="ReplicationPacketTimeout" value="150"/>
    • <add key="ReplicationBlockSize" value="1024"/>

Hope this helps.

Chris

Children
  • Hello Chris, I apologize for the late response as well, and congratulations as well!. 

If you didn't have enough scratch disk, it would be better to start with fresh replications. The Blocksize parameter can be increase to allow faster replications, but it is not needed if they are running without any issues right away. If you increase the blocksize to 2048, it will trigger a rehash which is basically a rescan and then will send the changes again (this may take up to twice the time it would take if you perform a clean replication. 

The ReplicationPacketTimeout parameter is the timeout used for rehash process. If the rehash takes more than 150 secs, it will fail the task. You can pump this value to the maximum 43000, but it is not needed if the replications are working correctly. 

Kind regards,

Alexis Castillo