NTFS discovery on single share with 18 million files/folders, only one task generated

I'm trying to prove feasibility for using Enterprise Reporter for a number of data projects ongoing in my org.

I have some questions about expected behaviour in regards to NTFS discoveries, I have a test discovery currently running on a single share on my isilon.  This location has roughly 18 million files/folders.

I do only have one node in my testing cluster, but i'm not sure if/how additional nodes would behave.  I only see a single discovery task assigned in the discovery, and it appears to be processing serially through the structures.

I do see the option to create a seperate task for each share, but this discovery only has a single share, so doesn't seem like it will help

at this point it has been running for 6 days, i'm trying to compare that to the estimated times from the user guide and just doesn't seem to add up.

So i'm trying to understand exactly how this should be operating.  Will quest only ever assign a single task per share in the discovery?  If i have multiple nodes in my cluster, will the task be split amongst all of the nodes?

Whats the appropriate configuration for performing discoveries on this scale.

Parents
  • Since you don't have shares to target, I would recommend that you create multiple discoveries for multiples nodes that target specific folders.  It's going to be a bit tedious to setup but I am pretty sure that you can import specific target folders into your discovery scopes from text files.

To help with this, you might want to take a look at the Reporter PoSh module.  I have used it in the past for setting up more elaborate discovery scenarios.

• Since you don't have shares to target, I would recommend that you create multiple discoveries for multiples nodes that target specific folders.  It's going to be a bit tedious to setup but I am pretty sure that you can import specific target folders into your discovery scopes from text files.

To help with this, you might want to take a look at the Reporter PoSh module.  I have used it in the past for setting up more elaborate discovery scenarios.

Children
  • unfortunately my first target is our home folder storage location, so no good way to segment.

I'm assuming that what i'm seeing is default behaviour from enterprise reporter, and that there isn't any effective method outside of setting up thousands of discoveries for folders to enable this to complete in anything approaching a reasonable time.  (current discovery has been running for 6+ days)

definately can do posh, was just trying to find methods to avoid winding up with ten thousand discoveries which will become a nightmare to maintain/process