This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Foglight for Storage Management support for HP MSA2040

Hello there,

I would like to know if it is possible to monitor our HP MSA2040 storage array which like HP 3PAR uses an embedded SMI-S provider...

I just tried luck and to used the current agent for HP 3PAR but it fails...

Thank you and regards,

Eneko

• Hi for-the-record...
    I have contacted support and they said the next:

"current version of FSM which is 4.4.5, monitoring HP MSA 2040 is not supported. But the internal teams are already working on a generic agent via which any storage arrays would be monitored if they support SMI-S."

So we will wait until next releases and lets see what can be done...

Regards,
  • Hi Eneko,
    I just saw this message. The generic SMI-S agent has been released in FVE 8.7. From the Release Notes:

Version 4.5.0 contains the following new features and updates:

• Added the support of Isilon 8.0.
    • Added the support of NetApp 9.1 Cluster Mode (C-Mode).
    • Created Generic SMI-S Array Agent that supports collecting from any block array that supports SMI-S queries.
    • Created PureStorage Agent that supports collecting from Pure Storage arrays.
    • Added Filer and Fabric Data Types in Storage SDK.

If you have any issues, please create a Service Request.
    Gaston.

• Hello Gaston,

this is great news. I have done a fresh install of FVEE 8.7, but I am unable to find documentation on how to deploy a "Generic SMI-S Array Agent"...

Have you tried yourself?

Thank you,

UPDATE:

Sorry the moment I replied I have found the documentation here:

https://support.quest.com/technical-documents/foglight-for-storage-management-shared/4.5/installation-guide/21#TOPIC-814775

I will let you know about the results

• Hello again,

I have just added the "Generic SMI-S Array Agent" and configured it to point it to our MSA2040 Array Controller. The agent is running fine but we don't see any propagation of data over the Storage Dashboards...

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Eneko
  • Hi Eneko,

Thanks for the update. Could you please create a Service Request in the link below, then send me an email at gaston.perez at quest.com so I can follow your case?
    Please attach Foglight and Agent Manager support bundles in the Service Request.
    This is the link: support.quest.com/create-service-request

Thanks

Gaston
  • Hiya Eneko,

This is Al from the Storage Team. Generics SMI-S Array Agent does not go by: "Is XXXX array supported by Generics SMI-S Array Agent?"

If the target array supports generic SMI-S queries and is a block array and SMI-S provider allows CIM_ElementStatisticalData & CIM_BlockStorageStatisticalData classes; we should be able to collect from it.

You may share the Agent Manager log that SMI-S Array Agent was deployed on and along with the Agent log here so we can take a look.

Please also provide the screenshots from the Storage dashboards and the corresponding dashboards from the vendor where we can see these missing metrics would be great.

Cheers,

Al K.

• Hello AI,

our Storage Array is a HPE MSA 2040 SAN Storage:

As it is seen here (page 315):

it allows SMI-S queries and allows the required classes:

Block Server Performance subprofile

The implementation of the block server performance subprofile allows use of the CIM_BlockStorageStatisticalData classes and their associations, and the GetStatisticsCollection, CreateManifestCollection, AddOrModifyManifest and RemoveManifest methods. The Block Server Performance subprofile collection of statistics updates at 60-second intervals.

Let me know if we can do something here.

Thank you very much.

Eneko

PS: We have also opened a support case (SR Number:4124957) where you will find the Support Bundles.

• Hello,

I have just received next logs from our FglAM SB from support:

2017-09-29 11:56:47.092 INFO [Quartz[0]-30] com.quest.glue.core.util.StdOutOutputStream - [STDOUT] Requesting url=https://xxx.com:5989, ns=interop
    conn: WBEMConnection(u'https://xxx.com:5989', user=u'manage', namespace='interop')
    Operation failed: (3, 'Invalid namespace')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\smis-agent.py", line 293, in execute_request
    collect_inventory(conn, tracker)
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\smis-agent.py", line 51, in collect_inventory
    arrays = getArrays(conn)
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\smisutil.py", line 45, in getArrays
    managedElements = getElementsForProfile(conn, "Array")
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\smisutil.py", line 19, in getElementsForProfile
    profiles = getRegisteredProfiles(conn)
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\smisutil.py", line 15, in getRegisteredProfiles
    profiles = conn.EnumerateInstances("CIM_RegisteredProfile", DeepInheritance=True, PropertyList=kProfilePropList)
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\pywbemReq\cim_operations.py", line 935, in EnumerateInstances
    result = self.imethodcall(
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\pywbemReq\cim_operations.py", line 601, in imethodcall
    return self._validate_root_tt(tt, methodname)
    File "C:\Quest\Foglight\fglam\agents\SMISStorageAgent\1.0.2-1.0.2-201709121102\scripts\pywbemReq\cim_operations.py", line 643, in _validate_root_tt
    raise CIMError(code, tt[1]['DESCRIPTION'])
    CIMError: (3, 'Invalid namespace')

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eneko

• Hello Eneko,

Yes, we should be able to collect from HPE 2040 SAN Storage. We have access to P2000 G3 MSA which is a similar array.

From the log you provided, we could not get the of the array
    - user=u'manage', namespace='interop')
    Operation failed: (3, 'Invalid namespace')

I noticed you have created a SR with Support so I will be talking you there.

Cheers,

Al K.
  • Eneko, I might have another cart. that I may provide it for you. But, I wanted to see if you have more arrays to monitor with Generic SMI-S Array agent cart or only the array you mentioned above?

Let me know please

Cheers,

Al K.